CBS pulls school shooting plot from upcoming "FBI" season finale
Driving the news: The finale, titled “Prodigal Son," featured a plot in which the FBI looked to stop a potential school shooting.
- In the episode, there's a robbery where the perpetrators steal a bunch of guns. One of those perps is the classmate of the main character's sons, according to Deadline.
- Before the episode aired, actor Jeremy Sisto told CinemaBlend that the show featured "the threat of a school shooting."
- CBS did not immediately return Axios' request for comment and has not announced if or when it will reschedule the finale.
Context: A gunman killed 19 students and two teachers in a single classroom at an elementary school in Uvalde, Texas.
- President Joe Biden, Vice President Kamala Harris and a number of lawmakers have been reacting to the shooting.
Zoom out: This is not the first time a television network has had to react to gun violence and national tragedies.
- Paramount Network in 2018 halted the two-episode premiere of the show “Heathers" — a satire about teenage killers — after the tragic shooting at a Pittsburgh synagogue, The Hollywood Reporter reported.
- "Family Guy" and "American Dad" episodes were dropped after the 2012 Sandy Hook shooting, per BBC News. Instead, Fox ran reruns to avoid sensitive content.
- In 2020, ABC cut short the finale of "Grey's Anatomy" due to the coronavirus pandemic, halting production and stopping the show from filming its original finale, Entertainment Weekly reports.