Trump loses bid to stay contempt order in New York AG probe
Former President Trump’s motion to stay a contempt order against him for failing to turn over documents to New York Attorney General Letitia James has been denied, a spokesperson for James' office said Tuesday.
Why it matters: The decision by a state appellate court means "the contempt order stands," James' office wrote. Trump will have to keep paying a $10,000-per-day fine as long as he doesn't turn over the documents amid James' investigation into the former president's business.
Flashback: James has been investigating Trump's business practices for more than two years. Trump was first held in contempt at the end of April.
James had previously said her office found "significant evidence" that the company "used fraudulent and misleading asset valuations to obtain economic benefits."
- The former president has denied any wrongdoing, calling the investigation by James politically motivated.