Michigan AG offers to investigate school district's actions ahead of shooting
Michigan Attorney General Dana Nessel announced Sunday her office has offered to conduct an independent review of the Oxford school district's actions in the lead up to last week's high school shooting in which four were killed and seven others were injured.
The latest: The owner of the studio where the parents of the alleged shooter had stayed overnight before being taken into custody is cooperating with authorities, and claims to have had no knowledge of their overnight stay or the charges against the couple, AP reported.
- An attorney for the owner, artist Andrzej Sikora, said Sikora had a "friendly relationship" with the couple but declined to give further details.
- “They were there in the daytime. He left in the early evening. He didn’t even know they were still there," Sikora's attorney said, adding that Sikora voluntarily contacted the authorities once he heard the couple was in custody, per AP.
Driving the news: Tim Throne, superintendent of Oxford Community Schools, requested a third-party investigation in a letter to the community Saturday, adding that the community deserves a "full, transparent accounting of what occurred."
- Thorne's letter included a further explanation of the high school's response to alleged shooter Ethan Crumbley, who was sent back to his classroom before the shooting began.
- Crumbley's parents did not notify counselors they had recently purchased a gun for their son or that shooting sports were a hobby, Throne said.
What they're saying: "We have reached out to the attorney for the Oxford Community School District," Nessel said in a tweet.
- We "have offered the services of the Michigan Department of Attorney General to conduct a full and comprehensive review of the ... shooting and the events leading up to it," she continued.
- "Our attorneys and special agents are uniquely qualified to perform an investigation of this magnitude."