Schumer, McConnell re-elected as Senate leaders
The Senate Democratic caucus re-elected Minority Leader Chuck Schumer (D-N.Y.) and added Sens. Cory Booker (D-N.J.) and Catherine Cortez Masto (D-Nev.) to its leadership ranks, a Senate Democratic source tells Axios.
Why it matters: The re-election of the full Senate Democratic leadership team comes after a relatively disappointing general election in which the party failed to win outright control of the Senate, despite record amounts of fundraising. Democrats still have a chance to become the Senate majority if they win a pair of Georgia runoffs in January.
Full Democratic leadership:
- Leader: Sen. Chuck Schumer (N.Y.)
- Whip: Sen. Dick Durbin (Ill.)
- Assistant Leader: Sen. Patty Murray (Wash.)
- Chair of Democratic Policy and Communications Committee: Sen. Debbie Stabenow (Mich.)
- Vice Chair of Conference: Sen. Elizabeth Warren (Mass.)
- Vice Chair of Conference: Sen. Mark Warner (Va.)
- Chair of Steering Committee: Sen. Amy Klobuchar (Minn.)
- Chair of Outreach: Sen. Bernie Sanders (Vt.)
- Vice Chair of DPCC: Sen. Joe Manchin (W.Va.)
- Secretary: Sen. Tammy Baldwin (Wis.)
- Vice Chair of DPCC: Sen. Cory Booker (N.J.)
- Vice Chair of Outreach: Sen. Catherine Cortez Masto (Nev.)
The other side: Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell was unanimously re-elected by his GOP colleagues on Tuesday, Senate GOP leadership sources tells Axios. Sen. Rick Scott (Fla.) replaced Sen. Todd Young (Ind.) as chair of the Senate GOP's campaign arm.
- Leader: Sen. Mitch McConnell (Ky.)
- Whip: Sen. John Thune (S.D.)
- Chair of Republican Conference: Sen. John Barrasso (Wyo.)
- Chair of Republican Policy Committee: Sen. Roy Blunt (Mo.)
- Vice Chair of Republican Conference: Sen. Joni Ernst (Iowa)
- Chair of Republican Senatorial Committee: Sen. Rick Scott (Fla.)
What to watch: Decisions on committee leaders and House leadership elections will be held at a later date.