Introducing "Hard Truths"
Hard Truths is an Axios series exploring the impact of race in America.
Why it matters: If you’re white or rich, it’s easy to believe that racism is something that ended years ago. But the hard truth is: That’s not supported by facts.
- Our society, institutions and culture are still filled with barriers that shut out people because of the color of their skin, the origins of where they were born and other factors they can’t control.
- That didn’t just happen a long time ago. It’s happening right now.
Driving the news: We recognize most newsrooms, including ours, pay too much attention to news of the day, and less time examining what's below the surface.
- We were challenged on this by an Axios employee, who asked during the nationwide protests this summer: "Why does the news media spend all its time focusing just on events like this and then move on, instead of explaining systemic racism?"
Between the lines: We know that some of you will be skeptical.
- We promise that Hard Truths — like all Axios coverage — will be grounded in facts, clinical and clear-eyed, so you get the full picture.
What’s next: Each month, we'll examine a fresh topic. Our project begins on Saturday with voting. In coming months, we’ll explore education, housing, technology, sports, health care and more. You’ll find this coverage:
- In special Saturday bonus editions of Axios AM.
- On Axios.com in a new "Deep Dive" format.
- On a special edition of our "Axios Today" podcast that will accompany each new topic.
- On "Axios on HBO."
The bottom line: Our goal is to equip you with facts showing the full picture of race in America — a topic long overdue for this nation and its leaders to confront.
Go deeper: Our first installment, on race and voting in America.