2020 election: Iowa chaos presents dream scenario for Trump, Bloomberg
It's hard to imagine a better opening for 2020 for President Trump and Mike Bloomberg than the ongoing chaos in the Hawkeye State.
The big picture: Trump's approval rating is at a historic high, Bloomberg is scaling up his campaign, and there's another caucus coming later this month — and they had planned on using that app!
- Trump's Gallup approval rating hit 49%, his highest rating in that poll since taking office.
- Bloomberg is doubling his TV ad spending and expanding staff in the field to 2,000 people.
- Nevada's Democrats say their Feb. 22 caucus will not use the same vote-tallying app that's being blamed for Iowa.
- “We had already developed a series of backups and redundant reporting systems, and are currently evaluating the best path forward," said a Nevada state party official.
Between the lines: These are the conditions that could help Bloomberg soar past the 15% margin required to pick up delegates in Super Tuesday states, especially if a plentitude of campaigns break the bank over the next month.
What's next: Democrats debate on Friday, and New Hampshire votes Tuesday.
- Hopefully, we know who won Iowa before then.