Jun 1, 2018

U.S. and Israel coordinate terms for new deal in Southern Syria

Trump and Netanyahu at the White House on Tuesday. Photo: Mandel Ngan/AFP/Getty Images

Israel and the U.S. have agreed not to accept any changes in the 2017 Southern Syria cease fire deal unless Russia commits to taking steps to limit and roll back Iran's presence in this area and in the country as a whole, Israeli and U.S. officials tell me.

The backdrop: The Syrian army is about to start a military operation against rebels in Southern Syria near the Israeli and Jordanian borders, which would violate a ceasefire deal signed by the U.S., Russia and Jordan last July. The Russians want to update the deal because of the Syrian operation.

Israel, the U.S. and Jordan are open to the Russian proposal but want to make sure it includes a firm commitment from the Russians that Iranian forces, Hezbollah and Shia militias will not take part in the operation and will be completely removed from areas close to the Israeli and Jordanian borders. 

Intense coordination talks took place in the last few days between U.S. and Israeli officials on this matter, officials tell me.

  • National security adviser John Bolton met on Wednesday at the White House with his Israeli counterpart, Meir Ben-Shabbat, and discussed the Southern Syria deal. Today, Secretary of State Mike Pompeo discussed the deal in a call with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu — the second call between them on this issue since Wednesday.
  • Yesterday, Netanyahu spoke on the phone with Russian President Putin. The phone call came hours after the Israeli minister of Defense Avigdor Lieberman visited Moscow for a meeting over the Southern Syria deal with his Russian counterpart, Sergey Shoygu.

What to watch: Next week senior officials from the U.S., Russia and Jordan are expected to meet in Amman to start negotiating a new deal to replace the July 2017 agreement.

Worth noting: A White House official told me Bolton and Ben-Shabbat renewed their commitment to the de-escalation zone in southwest Syria which was formed after the July 2017 deal. They also committed to addressing any actions that risk broadening the conflict or jeopardizing the ceasefire.

Go deeper

Coronavirus dashboard

Illustration: Aïda Amer/Axios

  1. Global: Total confirmed cases as of 3:30 p.m. ET: 1,536,979 — Total deaths: 93,425 — Total recoveries: 346,376Map.
  2. U.S.: Total confirmed cases as of 3:30 p.m. ET: 451,491 — Total deaths: 15,938 — Total recoveries: 24,790Map.
  3. Public health latest: U.S. has expelled thousands of migrants under coronavirus public health orderDr. Anthony Fauci said social distancing could reduce the U.S. death toll to 60,000.
  4. Business latest: The Fed will lend up to $2.3 trillion for businesses, state and city governments — Another 6.6 million jobless claims were filed last week.
  5. World latest: Boris Johnson is moved out of ICU but remains in hospital with coronavirus.
  6. 🎧 Podcast: Your hydroxychloroquine questions answered.
  7. What should I do? Pets, moving and personal healthAnswers about the virus from Axios expertsWhat to know about social distancingQ&A: Minimizing your coronavirus risk.
  8. Other resources: CDC on how to avoid the virus, what to do if you get it.

Subscribe to Mike Allen's Axios AM to follow our coronavirus coverage each morning from your inbox.

Biden rolls out new policies in effort to court Sanders supporters

Photo: Scott Olson/Getty Images

The Biden campaign announced two new policies on Thursday on health care and student debt that are squarely aimed at appealing to supporters of Bernie Sanders, who ended his campaign for the Democratic nomination on Wednesday.

Why it matters: The policies don't go as far as Sanders' platform, but they signal that Biden is serious about incorporating elements of his former rival's agenda in an effort to help unify the Democratic Party and defeat President Trump in the general election.

Reports: Saudi Arabia and Russia reach major deal to cut oil production

Photo: Joe Klamar/AFP via Getty Images

OPEC+, led by mega-producers Saudi Arabia and Russia, reached a tentative agreement Thursday to impose large cuts in oil production as the coronavirus pandemic fuels an unprecedented collapse in demand, per Bloomberg and Reuters.

Why it matters: The revival of OPEC+ collaboration patches up the early March rupture between the countries, which had pushed already depressed prices down much further by threatening to unleash even more new supplies into the saturated market.