- Alayna Treene
- May 18
Trump: appointment of special counsel 'divides the country'
Susan Walsh / AP
President Trump held a joint press conference with Colombian President Juan Manuel Santos Thursday, and faced a series of questions on the White House's ties to Russia:
- Was the appointment of a special prosecutor the right move, or part of a witch hunt? "I respect the move but the entire thing has been a witch hunt and there is no collusion between certainly myself and my campaign, but I can only speak for myself, the Russians- zero. I think it divides the country."
- Did you do anything to impede the investigation into Michael Flynn? "No, no next question."
- Do you think you've done anything criminal? "I think it's totally ridiculous, everybody says so."
- On firing Comey: "Director Comey was very unpopular with most people... I also got a very, very strong recommendation form the Deputy Attorney General... when I made that decision I thought it would be a very bipartisan decision."
- Border wall effectiveness: "Walls work, just ask Israel.... and we have no choice."