Updated May 7, 2018

Trump wants Congress to slash $15 billion in spending

Trump has been under pressure to show a commitment to fiscal restraint. Photo: Nicholas Kamm/AFP/Getty Images

President Trump will ask Congress Tuesday to slash $15 billion from the previously approved spending package, including funds from the Children's Health Insurance Program (CHIP) and the Affordable Care Act, an administration official said during a background briefing Monday.

Why it matters: There's not much chance that Congress will actually pass the "rescissions" package, since Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell says it's not a good idea. The main thing the proposal might do is improve Trump's standing with fiscal conservatives — but it could also make Republicans even more vulnerable to Democratic attacks over their health care records.

The details: The official told reporters that the administration seeks to cut funds from 38 programs that “are just sitting in accounts” and not being used. He added that the request would have no “problematic impact” on government spending, and said Trump will freeze funds he wants to slash for 45 days, pending congressional action through a majority vote.

  • The request, first reported by the Washington Post, includes cuts from Obama-era Ebola outbreak funds, $4.3 billion from a vehicle technology program, and $800 million from the ACA. The president also wants to cut $7 billion from the CHIP.

What's next: The administration plans to roll-out a “large” rescissions package later this year, but the official repeatedly declined to explain what might be included. However, he said that it would target “duplicative programs and things we don’t think are necessary to operate the government sufficiently.”

Go deeper

Coronavirus updates: Market ends worst week since financial crisis

Data: The Center for Systems Science and Engineering at Johns Hopkins, the CDC, and China's Health Ministry. Note: China numbers are for the mainland only and U.S. numbers include repatriated citizens.

The stock market ended its worst week since the financial crisis, prompting the Fed to release a statement. Meanwhile, the WHO warned that countries are losing their chance to contain the novel coronavirus and raised its global risk assessment to "very high" Friday.

The big picture: COVID-19 has killed more than 2,860 people and infected more than 84,000 others in over 60 countries and territories outside the epicenter in mainland China. The number of new cases reported outside China now exceed those inside the country.

Go deeperArrowUpdated 10 hours ago - Health

California coronavirus: Latest case has no recent history of international travel

Gov. Gavin Newsom. Photo: Kevork Djansezian/Getty Images

A new case of the novel coronavirus in California was announced on Friday after Gov. Gavin Newsom said Thursday that 33 people had tested positive for the virus, noting the risk to the public remains low.

What's new: An adult woman with chronic health conditions in Santa Clara County who "did not recently travel overseas" or come into contact with anyone known to be ill was confirmed to have contracted the coronavirus on Friday by CDC and California Department of Public Health officials.

Go deeperArrowUpdated 10 hours ago - Health

Big video game conference delayed amid coronavirus concerns

Photo: GDC

Next month's Game Developers Conference in San Francisco became the latest tech event to be cancelled or postponed amid growing concerns over the spread of the novel coronavirus.

The big picture: A growing number of events are being scrapped, including Mobile World Congress and Facebook's F8 developer conference. Some, like the giant SXSW event in Austin, insist they are moving forward.