Mar 18, 2019

"Not happy": Trump talks to General Motors CEO on Ohio plant closure

Photo: Mark Wilson/Getty Images

General Motors said Sunday evening the issue of the fate of factories set for closure "will be resolved" with the United Auto Workers union, according to The Washington Post, after President Trump pressed its CEO to reopen its Ohio plant.

The details: Earlier in the day, Trump accused General Motors of letting the country down and said United Auto Workers Local 1112 President David Green should get his act together and produce. "I want action on Lordstown fast," he said in a tweet. "Stop complaining and get the job done!" In a Saturday tweet, the president urged GM to act quickly, saying Toyota was investing $13.5 billion in the U.S., "others likewise."

What they're saying: General Motors says in a statement it had opportunities available for "virtually all" employees impacted by the plans, according to WashPost. “We remain open to talking with all the affected stakeholders, but our main focus remains on our employees and offering them jobs in our plants where we have growth opportunities,” GM said.

Go deeper: GM to cut workers, idle U.S. manufacturing plants

Go deeper

Coronavirus spreads to more countries, and U.S. ups its case count

Data: The Center for Systems Science and Engineering at Johns Hopkins, the CDC, and China's Health Ministry. Note: China numbers are for the mainland only and U.S. numbers include repatriated citizens.

The novel coronavirus continues to spread to more nations, and the U.S. reports a doubling of its confirmed cases to 34 — while noting those are mostly due to repatriated citizens, emphasizing there's no "community spread" yet in the U.S. Meanwhile, Italy reported its first virus-related death on Friday.

The big picture: COVID-19 has now killed at least 2,359 people and infected more than 77,000 others, mostly in mainland China. New countries to announce infections recently include Israel, Lebanon and Iran.

Go deeperArrowUpdated 2 hours ago - Health

Wells Fargo agrees to pay $3 billion to settle consumer abuse charges

Clients use an ATM at a Wells Fargo Bank in Los Angeles, Calif. Photo: Ronen Tivony/SOPA Images/LightRocket via Getty Images

Wells Fargo agreed to a pay a combined $3 billion to the Justice Department and the Securities and Exchange Commission on Friday for opening millions of fake customer accounts between 2002 and 2016, the SEC said in a press release.

The big picture: The fine "is among the largest corporate penalties reached during the Trump administration," the Washington Post reports.