Trump and Kim on the news on Seoul, South Korea. Photo: Ahn Young-joon / AP

President Trump announced he was adding North Korea to the list of state sponsors of terror on Monday, reversing President Bush's 2008 decision to take the regime off the list. Secretary of State Rex Tillerson has designated it as such, per a State Department official.

The backdrop: Trump discussed the escalating North Korean nuclear threat with President Xi of China and President Moon of South Korea during his recent Asia trip. The White House has long been considering a decision to put North Korea back on the list. North Korea joins Iran, Sudan, and Syria on the list of state sponsors of terrorism.

History: North Korea, which was on the list from 1988-2008, was taken off after it agreed to dismantle some of its nuclear weapons program, but as Congress noted in April this year, "North Korea has failed to live up to these commitments."

Go deeper

11 mins ago - World

Trump announces new Iran sanctions in effort to maintain international arms embargo

Photo: Anna Moneymaker-Pool/Getty Images

President Trump signed an executive order on Monday that would impose sanctions on any person or entity that contributes to the supply, sale, or transfer of conventional arms to or from Iran or is engaged in providing training and financial support related to those weapons.

Why it matters: The executive order is the first step by the Trump administration to put teeth into its claim that international sanctions on Iran were restored over the weekend, one month after the U.S. initiated the "snapback" process under a United Nations Security Council resolution.

Exclusive: Conservative group launches $2M Supreme Court ad

Screengrab of ad, courtesy of Judicial Crisis Network.

The Judicial Crisis Network is launching a $2.2 million ad campaign to put pressure on vulnerable Senate Republicans in battleground states to support a quick confirmation when President Trump announces his Supreme Court nominee.

The big picture: "Follow Precedent," previewed by Axios, is one of the first national and cable television ads to run following Justice Ruth Bader Ginsberg's death Friday.

Updated 26 mins ago - Politics & Policy

CDC says it mistakenly published guidance about COVID-19 spreading through air

CDC Director Robert Redfield. Photo: Anna Moneymaker/Pool/Getty Images

The CDC has removed new guidance that acknowledged airborne transmission of the coronavirus, posting in a note on its website that the guidance was only a draft and had been published in error.

Why it matters: The initial update — which was little noticed until a CNN story was published Sunday — had come months after scientists pushed for the agency to acknowledge the disease was transmissible through the air. The CDC previously said that close person-to-person contact was the bigger concern, and the language has been changed back to erase the warning about airborne transmission.