Epic year: Living history in 2018
Illustration: Lazaro Gamio/Axios
We've listed 32 of the momentous events we lived through in 2018, as told on the front page of The New York Times.
Why it matters: During many of the peaks and troughs of history, the people living it didn't fully realize what was unfolding. But we all know we're navigating breathtaking history: Nearly every day could be — maybe will be — a book.
- Jan. 26: "TRUMP ORDERED MUELLER'S FIRING BUT WAS REFUSED."
- Feb. 15: "HORROR AT FLORIDA SCHOOL; EX-STUDENT HELD ... 17 Die as Gunman Roams Halls in Rampage Near Miami."
- March 18: "Firm That Assisted Trump [Cambridge Analytica] Exploited Data of Millions Information Harvested From Facebook Was Used in Profiling of Unwary Voters."
- March 25: "With Passion and Fury, Students March on Guns: Rebuke of N.R.A. by Huge Crowds Across U.S."
- April 11: "TARGET OF RAIDS WAS MONEY PAID TO HUSH WOMEN: Trump Said to Weigh Removal of Deputy Attorney General."
- April 21: "Over 700 Children Taken From Parents at Border."
- May 1: "Questions for President Show Depth of Inquiry Into Russian Meddling: Detailed Review of 15 Chaotic Months — Much of List Hits on Obstruction."
- June 13: "PRESIDENT’S PITCH TO KIM YIELDS VOW WITH FEW DETAILS: Trump Agrees to End War Games With South Korea."
- June 29: "Gunman Attacks a Newsroom in Maryland, Killing Five People."
- July 17: "TRUMP, WITH PUTIN, ATTACKS 2016 INTELLIGENCE."
- Aug. 6: "VOTES SECURED TO CONFIRM KAVANAUGH."
- Aug. 10: "The Year Global Warming Made Its Menace a Reality: Crops Wilt, Fires Rage and a Scorching Summer Tells Us: We’re Not Ready."
- Aug. 22: "PLEADING GUILTY, COHEN IMPLICATES PRESIDENT: '‘In coordination with and at the direction of a candidate for federal office.'"
- Aug. 29: "A GRIM REVISION FOR PUERTO RICO: Analysis Raises Storm’s Toll to 2,975 From 64."
- Sept. 2: "Hailing McCain, 2 Presidents [Bush 43, Obama] Diverge From a 3rd."
- Sept. 5: "Woodward’s Sprawling Exposé Depicts White House in Chaos."
- Sept. 6: "TRUMP SEETHES AS A ‘RESISTANCE’ SPILLS INTO VIEW: TIMES OP-ED FEEDS FURY — Accounts Suggest Aides Quietly Try to Thwart the President."
- Sept. 10: "CBS CHIEF IS OUT AS MORE WOMEN CITE MISCONDUCT: EXECUTIVE’S STEEP FALL."
- Sept. 26: "Once a Model Of Fatherhood, Now an Inmate: Cosby Gets 3 to 10 Years for Sexual Assault."
- Sept. 28: "With what degree of certainty do you believe Brett Kavanaugh assaulted you?" "100 percent." ... "None of these allegations are true?" "Correct." "No doubt in your mind?" "Zero. I’m 100 percent certain."
- Oct. 3: "TRUMP TOOK PART IN SUSPECT SCHEMES TO EVADE TAX BILLS: Behind the Myth of a Self-Made Billionaire, a Vast Inheritance From His Father."
- Oct. 18: "AUDIO SAID TO GIVE GRUESOME DETAILS OF CRITIC’S KILLING: Leaks of Beheading at Saudi Consulate."
- Oct. 28: "Rampage Kills 11 at a Synagogue in Pittsburgh: Suspect in Custody Has a History of Anti-Semitism."
- Nov. 7: "DEMOCRATS SECURE CONTROL OF THE HOUSE; REPUBLICANS BUILD ON MAJORITY IN SENATE: Rebuke for Trump as Lower Chamber Shifts — Cruz Wins in Texas."
- Nov. 8: "TRUMP REPLACES SESSIONS WITH A LOYALIST; VOWS 'WARLIKE' STANCE ON HOUSE INQUIRIES: Critic of Mueller’s Case Will Now Oversee It."
- Nov. 24: "U.S. CLIMATE STUDY HAS GRIM WARNING OF ECONOMIC RISKS Reduction of Up to 10 Percent in G.D.P. — Findings Are at Odds With Policies."
- Nov. 30: "COHEN PLEA BARES RUSSIAN TOWER BID DEEP IN TRUMP RUN: Presidential Hopeful Sought Closer Ties and a Deal, Too."
- Dec. 3: "A Kinder, Gentler Nation? Maybe for a Few Days ... The death of President George Bush, known for his civility, has kindled a nostalgia for compromise."
- Dec. 5: "Saudi Prince 'Complicit' In Murder, Senators Say After Briefing by C.I.A.: Bipartisan Group, Breaking With Trump, Hardens Stand on Khashoggi Case."
- Dec. 21: "MATTIS RESIGNS AFTER TRUMP’S SYRIA PULLOUT: Clash of Views Led to a Split That Stunned a Government in Turmoil."
- Dec. 22: "IMPASSE OVER WALL SHUTS DOWN GOVERNMENT."
- Dec. 24: "STUNG BY REBUKE, PRESIDENT FORCES MATTIS OUT EARLY."