Pablo Martinez Monsivais / AP
POTUS and the PM reaffirmed the special relationship with a joint press conference this afternoon. (Its start was delayed because the White House was confused by British date formatting.)
- Brexit at center stage: POTUS said that "a free and independent Britain is a blessing to the world" while making sure to mention Turnberry, his golf course in Scotland. May agreed that both governments would "work for ordinary people."
- POTUS defers to Mattis on torture: Trump reaffirmed that he'd adhere to the recommendations of Sec. Mattis even if he personally believes in the efficacy of torture.
- Russian sanctions: Trump said it's "very early" to talk about lifting sanctions, but restated his desire for positive relationships with all countries.
- Reciprocal state visits: May announced that Trump has accepted an invitation to visit the U.K. later this year.
- Mexico: Trump says that May has "other things to worry about" than U.S.-Mexican relations; May demurred on commenting.