David Shulkin. Photo: Aaron P. Bernstein / Getty Images

Veterans Affairs Secretary David Shulkin blasted “subversive events” at his agency after conservative political appointees openly rebelled against him following the release of an inspector general’s report that found he had improperly brought his wife on a trip last year using a falsified email from his former chief of staff, per Politico. Shulkin paid back any outstanding sums, allowing him to maintain the White House’s political backing for now.

Why it matters: As reported by Politico, the White House has given Shulkin their support to "quash an internal rebellion." Top Trump administration officials — from Interior Secretary Ryan Zinke to former HHS Secretary Tom Price — have faced media scrutiny over their use of travel expenses, but this is the first time that other Trump appointees have used such a controversy to voice their displeasure.

Go deeper

Updated 5 mins ago - Politics & Policy

Tim Scott says Trump "misspoke" when he told Proud Boys to "stand by"

Photo: Bonnie Cash/Pool/AFP via Getty Images

Sen. Tim Scott (R-S.C.) told reporters on Wednesday that he believes President Trump "misspoke" when he told the far-right "Proud Boys" group to "stand back and stand by" in response to a question about condemning white supremacy at the first presidential debate.

Catch up quick: Moderator Chris Wallace asked Trump on Tuesday, "Are you willing, tonight, to condemn white supremacists and militia groups and to say that they need to stand down?" Trump asked who specifically he should condemn, and then responded, "Proud Boys, stand back and stand by. But I'll tell you what, somebody's got to do something about antifa and the left."

47 mins ago - Podcasts

Palantir co-founder on its mission and controversies

Palantir Technologies today went public at an initial valuation of more than $21 billion, giving investors a chance to buy into one of Silicon Valley's most talked-about tech companies.

Axios Re:Cap dives into Palantir's mission and controversies with company co-founder Joe Lonsdale.

Commission on Presidential Debates wants "additional structure" for remaining debates

Photos: Jim Watson and Saul Loeb/AFP via Getty Images.

The Commission on Presidential Debates announced Wednesday that it plans to implement changes to rules for the remaining debates, after Tuesday night's head-to-head between Joe Biden and Donald Trump was practically incoherent for most of the night.

What they are saying: "Last night's debate made clear that additional structure should be added to the format of the remaining debates to ensure a more orderly discussion of the issues," the CPD said in a statement.