Feb 11, 2019

Exclusive: The secret drone deal that created an Israel-UAE rift

A secret deal for the sale of drones from an Israeli company to the United Arab Emirates (UAE) that failed in 2009 caused a deep rift in relations between Israel and the Gulf state. Former U.S. and Israeli officials tell me the crisis was only resolved after two years of efforts by the Obama administration and Israel's Mossad intelligence service.

Why it matters: Israel and the UAE had formed a secret alliance in the fight against Iran's nuclear program and activity across the Middle East, which was damaged when the deal failed.

The backdrop: After Netanyahu assumed office in 2009, he was briefed by Mossad chief Meir Dagan about the proposed deal for the sale of sophisticated drones by a private Israeli company, former U.S. and Israeli officials told me.

  • According to one account given by former Israeli and U.S. officials, Netanyahu saw the deal as an opportunity to advance future military options against Iran, and gave it the go ahead.
  • According to another account, the private Israeli company signed a deal with the UAE government and only then notified the Israeli government — pushing Netanyahu into a corner.

The deal moved forward and the UAE even paid a down payment of tens of millions of dollars. But then trouble started.

  • The Israeli ministry of defense is responsible for giving licenses for such deals. It was notified at a late stage and refused to approve the deal over concerns about giving sensitive technology to the UAE and because of U.S. reservations about the deal.
  • When the deal was cancelled the UAE government, especially its de facto ruler Mohammed Bin Zayed (MBZ), was furious.
  • Dan Shapiro, who was the Middle East director at the National Security Council at the time, told me MBZ felt betrayed by the Israelis.

Former U.S. and Israeli officials told me the failed deal, combined with the assassination of a Hamas operative in Dubai, created a deep crisis between Israel and the UAE which lasted from 2010 to 2012.

  • Shapiro told me the National Security Council staff and the U.S. intelligence community were talking to both parties in order to understand what each side wanted or was willing to do to end the crisis. Those talks lasted around two years.

The deal that ended the crisis contained several elements, according to former U.S. officials:

  • Israel did not take responsibility for the assassination but said it would not pursue assassinations on UAE soil in the future.
  • The private company paid the UAE back some of the money and agreed to let the kingdom use the rest to buy other military hardware.
  • The Israeli government agreed to boost security and intelligence dialogue with the UAE, and both sides committed to renew their joined efforts to isolate Iran and extremist terror groups.

Go deeper

Mass shooting in Milwaukee: What we know so far

Milwaukee Mayor Tom Barrett in 2012. Photo: John Gress/Corbis via Getty Images

Six people died in a shooting at the Milwaukee Molson Coors brewery complex on Wednesday, including the shooter, Mayor Tom Barrett told reporters at an evening press conference with local police.

What's happening: Police said "there is no active threat" just before 6 pm ET, but noted the scene remains active. Police chief Alfonso Morales told reporters that officers have "more than 20 buildings we have to secure" at the complex and they do not currently have all employees accounted for, as more than 1,000 were at the complex during the shooting.

Go deeperArrowUpdated 15 mins ago - Politics & Policy

Live updates: CDC confirms possible community spread of coronavirus

Data: The Center for Systems Science and Engineering at Johns Hopkins, the CDC, and China's Health Ministry. Note: China numbers are for the mainland only and U.S. numbers include repatriated citizens.

U.S. clinicians have found the novel coronavirus in a person who did not recently return from a foreign country nor have contact with a confirmed case, the CDC said Tuesday.

The big picture: COVID-19 has killed more than 2,700 people and infected over 81,000 others. By Wednesday morning, South Korea had the most cases outside China, with 1,261 infections. Europe's biggest outbreak is in Italy, where 374 cases have been confirmed.

Go deeperArrowUpdated 31 mins ago - Health

Trump assigns Pence to lead U.S. coronavirus response

Photo: ANDREW CABALLERO-REYNOLDS/AFP via Getty Images

President Trump announced at a press briefing Wednesday evening that he'll be putting Vice President Mike Pence in charge of leading the administration's response to the coronavirus.

The big picture: In the wake of a market sell-off and warnings from health officials that there's a real threat of the coronavirus spreading in the U.S., Trump sought to reassure the nation and Wall Street that the U.S. is "ready" for whatever comes next.

Go deeperArrowUpdated 2 hours ago - Politics & Policy