Illustration: Lazaro Gamio/Axios

Eddie Lampert, a billionaire Connecticut hedge fund manager, has been dismantling Sears piece by piece for 13 years.

Driving the news: Now, critics say Lampert is on the verge of inflicting a death blow to the once-iconic, 125-year-old department store chain. He's proposing to personally buy Sears' last consequential piece — Kenmore appliances. Kenmore is a "final, egregious act to remove an asset from an estate that will eventually go bankrupt," Mark Cohen, a former CEO of Sears Canada, tells Axios.

Why it matters: "In some towns, [Sears is] arguably the only viable department store ... In many malls, they are the anchors," says Herb Kleinberger, a professor of retail at NYU's Stern.

The big story

In 2003, Lampert, a former Goldman Sachs analyst who roomed with Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin at Yale, bought a then-bankrupt Kmart through his hedge fund, ESL Investments. Two years later, he combined Kmart and Sears, creating a retail empire of about 3,500 stores in the U.S. and Canada and employing some 350,000 workers.

  • Today, after a bloodletting amid an implosion of mostly private equity-led retail malls, the two chains are just one-quarter the size, at 900 stores and 175,000 employees, per the New York Times.
  • Sears' share price, about $33 in 2013, when Lampert became CEO, closed at $1.25 yesterday.
  • Just last week, Sears said it would close another 46 U.S. stores in the fall. "He's destroyed the fabric of the company," Cohen says.

In a statement, Sears disputed the assertion by some critics that Lampert is picking apart the company for personal profit. "We look at investments in our business and stores through a broader lens than simply that which is represented by capital expenditures," said Howard Riefs, a company spokesperson. Lampert's hedge fund did not return a phone call seeking comment.

Numerous storied department store chains have fallen in the last two decades — including Montgomery Ward and Woolworth's — but Sears has had the longest, and arguably most agonizing, fall of all. It has also been among the most chronicled.

  • All along, analysts have said Sears is not a viable business and predicted its imminent end. But Lampert's critics say the last chapter of Sears' story is finally here.
How we got here

Sears brands have been the lifeblood of its business — and features of American culture — for a century. In 1927, Sears created Kenmore for appliances and Craftsman for hardware and gardening tools. Then in 1967, it launched DieHard batteries. All three brands brought in big dollars for the company.

By the 1980s, the decline of retail was underway, and Sears was one of the biggest casualties. Two years ago, a firesale began.

  • In 2016, Sears sold Craftsman and used the profits to pay off private equity debt to a series of lenders brought together by Lampert to bail out the company, including his own ESL.
  • The next year, he put DieHard up for sale.
  • But two weeks ago, Lampert turned heads when he offered to buy Kenmore for $400 million. The Sears board has said it is reviewing his proposal. The same day, he offered to pay $80 million in cash for Sears Home Improvement, another key business, per company SEC filings.

On Tuesday, The New York Times reported that Seritage Growth Properties, which Lampert chairs, has bought 235 Sears stores for redevelopment into swanky shops and offices, and rent. Yesterday, Seritage's share price closed at $51.19, up from about $37 in 2015.

The bottom line: Yesterday, Sears' shares popped by 12.6% when it announced a partnership with Amazon in tire installation. But people who watch the chain remain skeptical. "I don't see a game plan here," says NYU's Kleinberger.

Says Cohen: "Sears is a cadaver that's being propped up on a chair and made to look like it's still breathing."

Go deeper

Updated 24 mins ago - Politics & Policy

Tim Scott says Trump "misspoke" when he told Proud Boys to "stand by"

Photo: Bonnie Cash/Pool/AFP via Getty Images

Sen. Tim Scott (R-S.C.) told reporters on Wednesday that he believes President Trump "misspoke" when he told the far-right "Proud Boys" group to "stand back and stand by" in response to a question about condemning white supremacy at the first presidential debate.

Catch up quick: Moderator Chris Wallace asked Trump on Tuesday, "Are you willing, tonight, to condemn white supremacists and militia groups and to say that they need to stand down?" Trump asked who specifically he should condemn, and then responded, "Proud Boys, stand back and stand by. But I'll tell you what, somebody's got to do something about antifa and the left."

Updated 31 mins ago - Politics & Policy

Commission on Presidential Debates wants changes

Photos: Jim Watson and Saul Loeb/AFP via Getty Images

The Commission on Presidential Debates announced Wednesday that it plans to implement changes to rules for the remaining debates, after Tuesday night's head-to-head between Joe Biden and Donald Trump was practically incoherent for most of the night.

What they are saying: "Last night's debate made clear that additional structure should be added to the format of the remaining debates to ensure a more orderly discussion of the issues," the CPD said in a statement.

Trump says he doesn't know who Proud Boys are after telling them to "stand by"

President Trump told reporters on Wednesday that he doesn't know who the Proud Boys are, after saying at the presidential debate last night that the far-right group should "stand back and stand by" in response to a question asking him to condemn white supremacists.

Why it matters: The comments set off outrage and calls for clarification from a number of Republican senators. After being asked several times on Wednesday whether he will condemn white supremacy, Trump responded, "I have always denounced any form — any form of any of that, you have to denounce. But I also — Joe Biden has to say something about antifa."