ROBYN BECK/AFP/Getty Images

Univision has written to the heads of the FCC and FTC alleging that Dish has been deceptively marketing Univision programming as part of Dish's pay-TV services to consumers, even though the two parties have failed to reach an agreement to air Univision's content for months, according to a letter obtained by Axios.

Why it matters: It's the latest and most aggressive step by the Hispanic broadcaster to get the telecom giant to agree to a fee, known as a retransmission agreement, that would put Univision's programming back on air for millions of Dish customers.

What they're saying: In the letter, Univision says that in response to letters from its lawyers and from the North Carolina Attorney General's office (which had received a complaint from a Latino advocacy group), Dish made unacceptable excuses for continuing to market Univision programming to its pay-TV consumers.

  • Univision say Dish argues that it can't control all of the independent agents of its marketing and that it was an oversight that Dish still markets Univision's programming on its website as part of a Latino add-on package to its Pay-TV service.
  • In a statement, Dish responded, "We look forward to reviewing the letter and responding. Regarding claims Univision has been making, when Univision chose to remove its channels from Dish and DishLATINO customers, our team worked to remove references to the impacted channels on marketing materials and web properties. The logos of some Univision channels were inadvertently left within the cart flow of one of our add-on package offerings. Upon learning of this oversight, we worked quickly to remove the logos."

Between the lines: Univision is asking the FTC and FCC to look into this because it's alleging that consumers, when made aware that they wouldn't get the programming that had been promoted, were forced to pay fees for cancelling Dish services up to $480.

Be smart: Arguments like these happen all the time between pay-TV providers (cable and satellite companies) and TV networks (broadcast and cable companies). And in a tough economic environment for media, they're happening even more frequently than ever.

Still, this fight has been particularly messy for a few reasons:

  1. Dish boss Charlie Ergen has a reputation for being a tough negotiator when it comes to these types of agreements. (Ergen told analysts in August that the dispute between the two parties is "probably permanent.")
  2. The mobilization of support for Univision coming mostly from Latino advocacy groups has been aggressive and public.
  3. In a suit filed Friday with the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York, Univision asserts that Dish still owes the broadcaster millions in retransmission fees and interest.

Go deeper

Updated 6 mins ago - Politics & Policy

Coronavirus dashboard

Illustration: Sarah Grillo/Axios

  1. Politics: Obama: Trump is "jealous of COVID's media coverage" Axios-Ipsos poll: Federal response has only gotten worse.
  2. Health: Hospitals face a crush — 13 states set single-day case records last week.
  3. Business: Winter threat spurs new surge of startup activity.
  4. Media: Pandemic causes TV providers to lose the most subscribers ever.
  5. States: Nearly two dozen Minnesota cases traced to three Trump campaign events.
  6. World: Putin mandates face masks.

Louisiana braces for 3rd hurricane in 2 months as Tropical Storm Zeta nears

Municipality workers clean the streets of garbage in Playa del Carmen, Mexico, on Tuesday that was left by Zeta, which struck the Yucatan Peninsula as a Category 1 Hurricane a day earlier — causing no major damage to infrastructure. Photo: Medios y Media/Getty Images

Tropical Storm Zeta is expected to strengthen back into a hurricane and bring dangerous storm surge conditions to parts of the northern Gulf Coast on Wednesday, per the National Hurricane Center.

The state of play: Louisiana Gov. John Bel Edwards (D) requested a pre-landfall Federal Declaration of Emergency in a letter to President Trump on Tuesday, ahead of the storm's expected arrival south of New Orleans.

2 hours ago - Technology

Trump's campaign website hacked

A screenshot of the Trump campaign website after it was hacked.

The Trump campaign website briefly went down and its "About" page was modified after hackers attacked the site Tuesday evening.

The big picture: With just seven days before the election, the hackers emulated the FBI and declared on the "About" page that: "this was seized. the world has had enough of the fake-news spreaded [sic] daily by president donald j trump. it is time to allow the world to know truth." Two addresses linked to the cryptocurrency Monero appeared on the site. Trump campaign spokesperson Tim Murtaugh in a statement said no sensitive data had been exposed in the attack.

Go deeper: Twitter hack raises fears of an unstable election