What they're saying: Peter Fonda's anti-Trump tweet generates outrage
Photo: Alberto E. Rodriguez/Getty Images
Sony Pictures Classics said on Wednesday that it would not be pulling "Boundaries," a film featuring Peter Fonda, after his tweet calling for President Trump's 11-year-old son, Barron Trump, to be put "in a cage with pedophiles," according to the Hollywood Reporter.
What they're saying: This comes only weeks after Roseanne Barr's hit ABC sitcom "Roseanne" was cancelled after her racist tweet about former Obama adviser Valerie Jarrett.
What he's saying
- Fonda's now-deleted tweet: "WE SHOULD RIP BARRON TRUMP FROM HIS MOTHER’S ARMS AND PUT HIM IN A CAGE WITH PEDOPHILES AND SEE IF MOTHER WILL WILL STAND UP AGAINST THE GIANT A--HOLE SHE IS MARRIED TO. 90 MILLION PEOPLE IN THE STREETS ON THE SAME WEEKEND IN THE COUNTRY. F---."
- Fonda apologized, per CNN: "I tweeted something highly inappropriate and vulgar about the president and his family. ... Like many Americans, I am very impassioned and distraught over the situation with children separated from their families at the border, but I went way too far. It was wrong and I should not have done it."
What they're saying
- Stephanie Grisham, spokesperson for First Lady Melania Trump told The Daily Caller: "The tweet is sick and irresponsible and [the United States Secret Service] has been notified."
- Donald Trump Jr.: "So @iamfonda can suggest kidnapping and putting a child in a cage with pedophiles and @sonyclassics won't do anything! I guess that's okay if you're a liberal. If you're a conservative you'd face real consequences."
- NRA spokeswoman Dana Loesch: "Wonder if Peter Fonda will get Roseanned. Narrator: He won't."
- Oscar-nominated actor James Woods responded to a Twitter user who tweeted at Trump Jr. that "we're coming for Chloe [Don Jr.'s daughter], too": "This is exactly the kind of violence that has been inspired by #PeterFonda's tweet. The individual making this suggestive terrorist threat against the granddaughter of the President is a "TV writer," which sadly makes sense in today's twisted world of Hollywood."
- Candace Owens, communications director for Turning Point USA: "If you were outraged over Roseanne tweeting that Valerie Jarrett looks like a monkey, but are okay with the fact that @SonyPictures is still releasing Peter Fonda's movie this Friday despite his public call for pedophili...you are the reason Trump will win again in 2020."
- Radio talk-show host Glenn Beck tweeted at CNN contributor Ana Navarro: "You took every word 'target' as a threat 6 years ago. Every word was a 'dog whistle' for violence. Now as this happens, #PeterFonda threatens #POTUS son, and others, you make jokes. #intellectualdishonesty #whyPeopleDontTrustU"
- Sony Pictures Classics speciality film distributor said in a statement, per the Hollywood Reporter: "Peter Fonda’s comments are abhorrent, reckless and dangerous, and we condemn them completely. It is important to note that Mr. Fonda plays a very minor role in the film. To pull or alter this film at this point would unfairly penalize the filmmaker Shana Feste’s accomplishment, the many actors, crew members and other creative talent that worked hard on the project."
Fonda has also made news for his provocative statements about politicians on the other side of the aisle with a threatening diatribe directed at President Barack Obama at the Cannes Film Festival in 2011, per The Telegraph:
“I’m training my grandchildren to use long-range rifles. For what purpose? Well, I’m not going to say the words 'Barack Obama’, but … it’s more of a thought process than an actuality, but we are heading for a major conflict between the haves and the have nots. I came here many years ago with a biker movie and we stopped a war. Now, it’s about starting the world. I prefer to not to use the words, 'let’s stop something’. I prefer to say, 'let’s start something, let’s start the world’. There’s no room any more for a sissy and, like I said, don’t forget that I’ve got grandsons who I’ve trained with long-distance rifles. We have to run like mofos to change this world.”