Pelosi, Schumer to speak at AIPAC amid progressive pushback
Speaker Nancy Pelosi and Sen. Chuck SchumerPhoto: Zach Gibson/Getty Images
Democratic leaders Rep. Nancy Pelosi and Sen. Chuck Schumer are scheduled to address the American Israel Public Affairs Committee (AIPAC) Conference, which kicks off Sunday and will feature speeches from dozens of members of Congress, as well as two of the candidates in Israel's upcoming election.
The big picture: This year's policy conference comes on the heels of a controversy sparked by freshman Rep. Ilhan Omar (D-Minn.), who was accused of using anti-semitic tropes in her criticism of AIPAC's lobbying. 2020 candidates Bernie Sanders, Kamala Harris and Elizabeth Warren, who defended Omar despite condemnation from Democratic leadership, will not be speaking at the conference.
Other notable speakers:
- Vice President Mike Pence
- House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy (D-Calif.)
- House GOP Conference chair Rep. Liz Cheney (R-Wyo.)
- House Democratic Caucus chair Hakeem Jeffries (D-N.Y.)
- House Foreign Relations chair Eliot Engel (D-N.Y.)
- Senate Foreign Relations ranking member Bob Menendez (D-N.J.)
- Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Texas)
- U.S. Ambassador to Israel David Friedman
- Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu
- Israeli election candidate Benny Gantz