Nov 1, 2019

North Korea deems latest round of missile tests a success

Kim Jong-un. Photo: Mikhail Svetlov/Getty Images

North Korea deemed its latest round of super-large multiple rocket launcher tests on Thursday afternoon a success, per state news agency KCNA, Reuters reports.

The big picture: The same weapon was tested both in August and September, as talks between the U.S. and North Korea over nuclear weapon development remain up in the air.

What they're saying per Reuters: "The success of the tests was immediately reported, and Kim Jong-un 'expressed satisfaction' and congratulated the scientists who had developed the weapon, KCNA said, indicating that Kim was not at the site."

  • Thursday’s test confirmed that the “continuous fire system” weapon is able to “totally destroy” a group target by a surprise attack, KCNA noted.
  • “This launch and continued North Korean aggression underscore the need for the Trump Administration to re-commit to the maximum pressure policy” and for Congress to impose more sanctions against North Korea, Sen. Corey Gardner (R-Colo.) said.

Go deeper:

Go deeper

North Korea fires two short-range projectiles, South Korea says

Kim Jong-un before a meeting with President Trump in June. Photo: Brendan Smialowski/AFP via Getty Images

South Korea's military says North Korea fired two short-range projectiles on Thursday that are believed to have come from a "super-large" multiple rocket launcher, per AP.

Between the lines: CNN notes that North Korea has conducted other missile tests on American holidays. It reports that nuclear negotiations between the U.S. and North Korea have been at a standstill for weeks, and that Kim Jong-un has given the Trump administration until the end of the year to change its strategy.

Keep ReadingArrowNov 28, 2019

South Korea: U.S. "very actively" coaxing North Korea to return to nuclear talks

Photo: Dong-A Ilbo via Getty Images/Getty Images

Chung Eui-yong, South Korea's national security adviser, said on Sunday that the United States is “very actively” trying to convince North Korea to return to negotiations ahead of an unofficial deadline for dialogue, Reuters reports.

Background: North Korea's leader Kim Jong-un warned in October that the U.S. had until year’s end to take a "substantial step to make complete and irreversible withdrawal" of its "hostile policy." Chung said South Korea is taking North Korea's deadline "very seriously."

Go deeperArrowNov 10, 2019

U.S., South Korea cancel joint military exercise condemned by North Korea

Mark Esper. Photo: Jung Yeon-je/pool/AFP via Getty Images

Defense Secretary Mark Esper announced Sunday that the U.S. and South Korea have canceled an annual joint military exercise as an "act of goodwill" in order to “keep the door open” for talks to eliminate North Korea’s nuclear weapons, according to the Associated Press.

The big picture: The U.S. and its regional allies have been trying to coax North Korea back to negotiations to eliminate its nuclear weapons and missiles since talks stalled earlier this year.

Go deeperArrowNov 17, 2019