He tweeted the emails
Donald Trump Jr. pre-empted a NYT story this morning by tweeting screenshots of the emails that led to his now-infamous meeting with a lawyer tied to the Kremlin. (Read the emails in full.)
- The passage that matters, from British music publicist Rob Goldstone to Trump: "The Crown prosecutor of Russia…offered to provide the Trump campaign with some official documents and information that would incriminate Hillary and her dealings with Russia…This is obviously very high level and sensitive information but is part of Russia and its government's support for Mr. Trump...I can also send this info to your father via Rhona, but it is ultra sensitive so wanted to send to you first."
- Trump Jr.'s response: "…if it's what you say I love it especially later in the summer."
President Trump statement, read by Sarah Huckabee Sanders: "My son is a high-quality person, and I applaud his transparency."
Go deeper: Jonathan Swan on the White House response.
Go even deeper: David Lawler has the full rundown on how this story blew up.
What you missed
- Senate Bill 2.0: What we know about the Senate health care bill. Details.
- Exclusive: Fidelity laid off hundreds of workers today. The scoop.
- Workin' in August: Mitch McConnell's office announced today that the Senate will shorten its August recess.
- Dems' fear for 2020: Axios' Kim Hart and Sara Fischer hear from a growing number of Democrats who fear the party is fighting 2020 wars with 1980 methods.
- Tim Kaine goes in: The Virginia senator told reporters that Trump Jr.'s emails mean the Russia probe could be moving into treason territory.