Engineers and technicians assemble the James Webb Space Telescope November 2, 2016 at NASA's Goddard Space Flight Center in Greenbelt, Maryland. Photo: Alex Wong/Getty Images.

NASA announced Wednesday it's once again delaying the launch date for the James Webb Space Telescope, this time to March 30, 2021.

Why this matters: The JWST will be NASA's most powerful space-based telescope yet, and is intended to be Hubble's successor. The program has been beset by technical problems, delays and cost overruns. The latest delay moves the launch back from 2020 to 2021.

The big picture: In an interview with Axios earlier this week, NASA administrator James Bridenstine expressed his full support for the JWST program.

"The science that we get from JWST will make it worth it."

Bridenstine portrayed the problems with the JWST as being related to its groundbreaking nature.

"We are going to, for the first time, see cosmic dawn, the very beginning of light in the universe. Basically, the earliest days of the formation of the universe, which is going to change, I think, how we see ourselves. How we see our place in the universe. I think it's a critical mission. We have invested a lot into it. We're at the five yard line. We need to get across the goal line. And I am 100% committed to seeing it be successful."
— NASA administrator James Bridenstine, in an interview with Axios

NASA enlisted the help of an independent review board to recommend ways to get it back on track. That review has been completed, and the board agreed that the JWST should continue, with some changes made. The IRB found that technical issues, including human errors, have affected the schedule so far.

Between the lines: The program's new delay runs the risk of having it bump up against Congress' $8 billion spending cap, which would require a reauthorization from Capitol Hill. According to a press release, the telescope’s new total lifecycle cost is estimated at $9.66 billion, while its new development cost estimate is $8.8 billion.

Go deeper

1 hour ago - Technology

TikTok to pull out of Hong Kong

Illustration: Aïda Amer/Axios

TikTok said Monday night that it would pull its social video platform out of the Google and Apple app stores in Hong Kong amid a restrictive new law that went into effect last week.

Why it matters: TikTok's move comes as many large tech companies say they are still evaluating how to respond to the Hong Kong law.

4 hours ago - World

Ethiopia's Nobel Peace laureate cracks down on ethnic violence

The image of a Nobel Peace laureate in military fatigues encapsulates the moment in which Ethiopia finds itself — on the verge of a transition to democracy, a descent into violence or, perhaps, a precarious combination of the two.

Driving the news: At least 166 people were killed after an iconic musician, Haacaaluu Hundeessaa, was murdered last Monday in Addis Ababa, the capital. Prime Minister Abiy Ahmed responded to the violence by sending in troops and shutting off the internet. High-profile opposition leaders were arrested, along with some 2,300 others.

Updated 6 hours ago - Health

Atlanta Mayor Keisha Lance Bottoms tests positive for coronavirus

Atlanta Mayor Keisha Lance Bottoms said on Monday that she has tested positive for the coronavirus after displaying no symptoms.

Why it matters: Bottoms, one of several Black women on the shortlist to be Joe Biden's running mate, has risen to national prominence in recent months as part of mass protests over racism and police brutality — driven in part by the killing of Rayshard Brooks by Atlanta police.