Sep 24, 2022 - Food and Drink
10 restaurants Twin Cities locals love
- From family-owned institutions to under-the-radar cocktail bars, here are some of the places we go back to again and again.
- Why we love it: If there's one stop you need to make on Eat Street, it's this Vietnamese institution. It's run by five of owner Lung Tran's children and has kept its traditional dishes at affordable prices.
- Tip: Don't sleep on the cookies at checkout. They're cheap and the size of your head.
- Why we love them: The sister restaurants serve great burgers with a small town feel — and The Nook has an adjacent bowling alley for additional fun.
- Tip: Both have five different kinds of Jucy Lucy's, including one inspired by Guy Fieri.
- Why we love it: Brasa is one of the rare restaurants where the takeout is just as great as dining in. The rotisserie chicken is consistently delicious and the family-style meals can feed the whole crew.
- Tip: The side of baked macaroni and cheese is a must-order.
- Why we love it: This authentic Ecuadorian restaurant is a local secret in Northeast Minneapolis, known for its date night deal, breakfast menu and saltado sandwich special.
- Tip: The Ecuadorian Elvis Sandwich — sweet plantain, jam and bacon on toast, served with peanut sauce — is a brunch must.
- Why we love it: The family-owned Italian restaurant is a south Minneapolis staple for a reason: the atmosphere is cozy and the pasta is fantastic.
- Tip: Their date night special is a steal. An appetizer, two salads and two entrees for $40 a couple? Unbeatable.
- Why we love it: Manny's may be the steakhouse best known to out-of-towners, but this St. Paul institution has all the charm of your favorite supper club and the menu to match.
- Tip: Come for the relish tray, stay to watch grandparents dance.
- Why we love it: The unassuming, takeout-only Turkish restaurant in St. Paul has been serving huge portions at affordable prices for decades.
- Tip: Order the Black Sea combo with extra fries and thank me later.
- Why we love it: The decades-old coffee shop in the heart of the Cathedral Hill neighborhood is the perfect spot for eavesdropping and Instagrammable lattes.
- Tip: The locals know it's actually pronounced like "nine-ahs".
- Why we love it: Meteor is the newest establishment on our list, but this under-the-radar cocktail bar on the edge of North Loop is beloved by bartenders and those in the know.
- Tip: The shot of the moment is always worth the $4.
- Why we love it: This cafe and bakery in St. Louis Park is the go-to spot for breakfast business meetings and affordable family brunches.
- Tip: The dinner menu also includes breakfast entrees.
More Twin Cities stories
No stories could be found
Get a free daily digest of the most important news in your backyard with Axios Twin Cities.