20 Minnesota-made gifts under $100 for everyone on your list
Did you make your holiday shopping list, check it twice then realize your gifts won't show up until 2022? We're here to help.
Driving the news: Supply chain shortages and shipping delays are heavily impacting shopping this year. Many retailers began urging consumers to start ordering as early as mid-October.
What they're saying: Customers are heeding the warnings, according to Christine Ward, the co-founder of Twin Cities specialty gift shop Patina.
- Ward said her business, which has eight locations across the metro, saw an early surge of customers in November and more in-store purchases versus online.
- "We started preparing a year in advance to avoid issues. Our inventory was 90% set by October," Ward said.
Be smart: You may have a better chance at finding gifts in time for the holidays if you shop local. Plus: What better way to support our metro's economy as it rebounds from the pandemic?
- We found 20 local gift ideas under $100 for everyone on your shopping list.
For the vegetarian: Deli, Dive-in and Dine pack from The Herbivorous Butcher
This kit from the vegan meat and cheese shop has all the ingredients required for their Italian cold cut and turkey dill havarti sandwiches, featured on the shop's Food Network episode of "Diners, Drive-ins and Dives."
- $95, shipping included. Order online.
For the kids (and kids at heart): Curated holiday packages from Mischief Toy Store
Tell staff what your recipient likes (and their age), and they'll create a custom, perfectly-wrapped gift box for any holiday.
- Starting at $40. Buy online or in person at 818 Grand Ave., St. Paul.
For the plant parent: Marble Queen Pothos Hanging Basket from PlantyQueens
Pothos are one of the easiest plants to grow indoors, even with little light. Concerned about the cold? PlantyQueens offers winter shipping insurance for $5.
- The basket goes for $22. Buy online or in person at 1729 N 2nd St. #40, Minneapolis.
For the cook: A customizable spice set from Spice Your Life
Create your own gift box of gourmet spices from around the world at this Minneapolis spice shop, which also offers individually packaged free samples to take home.
- Under $50. Only available in person at 614 W 54th St., Minneapolis.
For the wine aficionado: At-Home Wine Workshop
Grab a bottle of wine at a local shop and take a virtual live class from Twin Cities sommelier Jason Kallsen. Questions and discussions are encouraged and webinars will be archived.
- $19 for a one-hour class. Buy online.
For the whimsical: A gift card to Darling Amalgamated Retail Emporium (DARE) Market
- Prices vary. Shop online or visit in person at 406 E 48th St., Minneapolis.
For the local beer fan: Minnesota State Breweries ornament from Curiosity Home Decor
This handmade (and durable) ornament is made of reclaimed bottle caps from various Minnesota breweries.
- $30. Buy online or in person at 1228 2nd St. NE, Suite 3, Minneapolis.
For the cold-blooded: Handmade mittens from Steller Handcrafted Goods
Each pair of these 100% wool mittens is one-of-a-kind. They're made from upcycled vintage sweaters and lined with fleece. Available in kids and adult sizes.
- $30-$88. Buy online or in person at 1121 Jackson St. NE Suite 115, Minneapolis.
For the Minnesota sports fan: A custom video from their favorite player
- Prices vary.
For the cat lover: An hour at Cafe Meow
Visitors can pet, play and cuddle with over 15 adoptable rescue cats at the Twin Cities' first and only cat cafe.
- $10 per hour. Buy online, or visit in person at 2323 Hennepin Ave. S, Minneapolis.
For the tea connoisseur: A blend from La Société du Thé
Consult the experts at this gourmet tea shop to pick the perfect blend from their hundreds of options.
- Prices vary. Shop online or in person at 2708 Lyndale Ave. S, Minneapolis.
For the treehugger: Zero waste kits from Tare Market
From natural toothpaste tablets to biodegradable pet waste bags, Tare has zero waste replacements for a variety of everyday products.
- $15.19-$73.99. Buy online or visit in person at 2717 E 38th St., Minneapolis.
For the gamer: A Dungeons & Dragons session from Bad Wolf Adventure Studios
A professional Dungeon Master leads players through a D&D session with the help of 4K flatscreens, surround sound, fog machines and more. Good for newbies and experienced players.
- $30 per person. Buy online or in person at 1523 94th Ln. NE, Blaine.
For the reader: A gift card to Birchbark Books & Native Arts
This independent bookstore, owned by Pulitzer Prize-winning Ojibwe author Louise Erdrich, carries a variety of books by Indigenous authors and artists. (Check out five Native authors we recommend.)
- Prices vary. Buy online or in person at 2115 W 21st St., Minneapolis.
For the writer: Wooden journals from Woodchuck
Shop a variety of pre-designed notebooks or customize your own cover. Bonus: Woodchuck plants a tree for every product sold.
- $31-$41. Buy online.
For the dog owner: Outdoor gear from Copilot Dog Outfitters
Bring your pup along for the ride, hike or paddleboarding adventure with equipment and seasonal wear made just for dogs.
- Prices vary. Shop in person at 4280 Sheridan Ave. S, Minneapolis.
For the crafter: Candle-making classes at Roseline's Place
Bring dinner and drinks to this two-hour class, where participants will make two 100% soy candles to take home.
- $55 per person, including candles. Buy online
For the person who doesn't need much: Holiday cards from Doodlebird Design
Check out handmade stationary and greeting cards from local designers for every occasion.
- $4.50 per card. Buy online or in person at 2803 E 42nd St., Minneapolis.
For the outdoorsy: A Minnesota State Parks vehicle permit
Give the gift of unlimited visits to all 75 of Minnesota's state parks with this all-access pass, good for one year after date of purchase.
- $35. Buy online or in person at any Minnesota state park office.
For the proud Minnesotan: T-shirts from i like you and its sister shop i like you too
- $22 and up. Shop online or in person at 1955 Johnson St. NE, Minneapolis or 416 Snelling Ave. S, St. Paul.
More Twin Cities stories
No stories could be found
Get a free daily digest of the most important news in your backyard with Axios Twin Cities.