Try this Miami Beach bootcamp workout
👋 Deirdra here with my secret for having an amazing day in this city.
What's happening: I sometimes join a small group that meets for early morning workouts in Miami Beach, on the sand by the lifeguard tower at 64th Street.
- The Beach Bootcamp starts daily at 6:30am on weekdays and 7:30am on weekends.
Why it matters: Do you ever have those moments of awe, when you watch the sun rise and feel truly alive? You can feel that every day.
- When I go, I also feel like I magically have more hours in my day. And I sleep really well!
Details: The program was started by Kristen Smith, who lost a whopping 250 pounds herself and is extremely welcoming and empathetic to the class.
- Workouts are customizable: hardcore types attend, and so do deliciously squishy grandmas.
- They're also good for your soul. Kristen makes a point to create a really welcoming community, with free Facebook groups to keep you motivated, plus get-togethers for coffee, dinner and game nights.
- And she welcomes kids to work out on Saturday mornings.
💭 My thought bubble: Kristen's program felt so refreshing to me after trying a zillion gyms across South Florida — snobby Pilates studios, yoga places that nickel-and-dime you for borrowing a mat and competitive CrossFit places.
- At my local gym, I signed in with a number and was never once greeted by name in seven years!
If you go: Try 7 days for $25. Bring your own water, towel and sunscreen.
More Miami stories
No stories could be found
Get a free daily digest of the most important news in your backyard with Axios Miami.