Six Denver events to celebrate MLK Day 2024
Spend your long weekend giving back and honoring Martin Luther King Jr.'s legacy with these six opportunities and events across the Mile High City.
🇺🇲 Martin Luther King Jr. Marade: Celebrate the life and legacy of the civil rights icon at Denver's MLK Day march and parade (marade), considered among the largest in the country. Enjoy live entertainment and a celebratory bike ride at Civic Center Park following the event.
- The free marade runs from 9:30am-1pm Monday at City Park.
- Go deeper: Denver's annual MLK parade the largest in the West
🍞 Spark the Change Colorado is looking for volunteers tomorrow to help decorate meal bags for students in Denver Public Schools. It's also seeking non-perishable items as part of its food drive for local pantries.
- Sign up for a one-hour shift on Monday.
🤠 MLK Jr. African-American Heritage Rodeo: As part of the National Western Stock Show, this event brings together top cowboys and cowgirls competing in classic rodeo events like bronco riding, barrel racing and steer wrestling.
- The event starts at 6pm Monday at the Denver Coliseum. Snag tickets.
⛪ Peace and Justice Mass: For the 12th year, the Office of Black Catholic Ministry of the Archdiocese of Denver is inviting the community to attend a special service dedicated to King's work.
- The Mass will be held at 9am Monday at Curé d'Ars Catholic Church.
- The show starts at 6:30pm Monday at the Dazzle Denver jazz club. Buy tickets.
🎤 Spirituals: The Root of American Music: In conjunction with MLK Day, the Pacifica Quartet and soprano Karen Slack join The Spirituals Project Choir and Montview's Westminster Choir to explore the critical role spiritual hymns played in the origins of American music.
- The free program runs 7-8:30pm Tuesday at Montview Boulevard Presbyterian Church.
More Denver stories
No stories could be found
Get a free daily digest of the most important news in your backyard with Axios Denver.