Austin tech salaries climb
More good news for Austin's tech workers: Local salaries increased 5% in the last year and aren't far behind tech workers' pay in California, a new report found.
Local takeaways: Of the 12 cities examined by job marketplace Hired, Austin ranks No. 6 with an average tech salary of $144,000, coming close to California cities despite differences in cost of living.
- San Diego trailed just behind Austin, and Los Angeles ranked No. with an average of $149,000, while San Francisco topped the list at $165,000.
- Dallas ranked near the bottom, with an average tech salary of $124,000, declining 9.5% from the previous year.
Yes, but: When analyzing pay rates based on cost of living, tech workers in Dallas and Austin can stretch their dollars further than cities with higher costs of living like San Francisco.
- Dallas ranks first for tech salaries adjusted for cost of living, meaning that making the average $165,000 salary in San Francisco would be the equivalent of making $243,000 in Dallas. Austin follows at No. 3 in pay adjusted for cost of living, just behind Atlanta.
- The report also found that workers are migrating out of major tech hubs and into areas with lower costs of living like Austin and Dallas, leading to an increase in demand and interview requests in those areas.
Plus, remote work and demand for tech talent remain at all-time highs, the report found.
- Remote workers' salaries jumped to $144,000 in 2021.
More Austin stories
No stories could be found
Get a free daily digest of the most important news in your backyard with Axios Austin.