Prime property picks for Tesla execs starting at $5M
Last week, Tesla founder and CEO Elon Musk announced he was moving his company's headquarters from Palo Alto, California, to Austin.
Between the lines: We examined Tesla's recent SEC filings and found that — wait for it — Tesla's management makes a lot of money.
- The CFO, head of Tesla Heavy Trucking and senior VP for energy engineering each earned roughly $46.5 million in 2020.
- Of those, only the head of the truck division currently owns a home in Travis County under his name, per an Axios review of appraisal district records. In December, he purchased the property, valued at $2.4 million, near the Barton Creek resort.
- Oh, and by the way, Musk, who calls himself "Technoking" in company filings, is now the world's richest person, the Wall Street Journal reports.
Why it matters: That means Tesla executives need places to live — and we're here to help.
- (Your humble Axios journalists don't get a cut of the sale, sadly.)
Check out our luxury picks to get the company's higher-ups charged up:
1115 W 11th St. Unit 2 — $5,200,000
What makes it hot: A rare new build in the historic Castle Hill district, unique design elements on the interior of this condo include a floating staircase and accordion glass doors to bring the outside in before taking a dip in the private pool.
Specs: 2 beds, 3 baths, 3,042 square feet
Details: Designed by architect Dick Clark, the clean lines and wide open spaces of this home set a high bar for luxury living in the Old West Austin and Clarksville neighborhoods. For the auto executive who doesn't like messiness.
- Custom closets.
- Primary suite features outdoor terrace overlooking at least one moonlight tower.
- Just steps from downtown.
3400 Hillview Rd. — $6,999,000
What makes it hot: This 1935 Tarrytown brick home is finished with period elements, including arched doorways and upper and lower-level screened porches.
Specs: 6 beds, 3.5 baths, 3,860 square feet
Details: Sits on about 3/4 of an acre of land surrounded by lush greenery and mature flora in a family-friendly neighborhood.
- Though we wouldn't call this a fixer-upper, it's perfect for a buyer who wants to customize a home. The property has a newly approved demo permit from the city for anyone looking to take advantage of the level lot and build a dream home. But we know the classy-minded electric vehicle magnate who grabs this abode would figure out a way to rewire its lovely bones.
- Texas charm spreads throughout with detailed elements like wood-paneled bedroom and reading room walls and built-in shelving.
2705 Island Ledge Cove — $8,500,000
What makes it hot: Resting in a gated community in Westlake, this stately Treetop Manor offers privacy and access to Lake Austin complete with boat dock.
Specs: 7 beds, 6.5 baths, 10,818 square feet
Details: For the Tesla executive who appreciates multiple dishwashers. The main gallery includes a built-in bar and extends to a den with a fireplace, a morning room and a side entrance with a full butler's kitchen and pantries.
- The second-floor landing provides treetop views and complete serenity with multiple guest suites, a second kitchen, roomy movie theater and office.
- The balcony is great for gathering guests and has easy access to the pool — which is where Tesla can test some electric submarine it's probably prototyping.
More Austin stories
No stories could be found
Get a free daily digest of the most important news in your backyard with Axios Austin.