Sen. Jeff Flake (R-Ariz) delivered an emotional retirement speech on the Senate floor today, and condemned the "flagrant disregard of truth and decency" in politics today, stating, "heaven help us."
Key quote: "We must stop pretending that the degradation of politics in our executive branch are normal, they're not normal... it's reckless, outrageous, and undignified... it's dangerous to our democracy."
More from Flake:
- "Mr. President, I rise today to say, enough."
- "We have fooled ourselves long enough that Trump... will return to civility... We know better than that."
- "When we remain silent... because we might alienate the base... we dishonor our principles and forsake our obligations."
- "If I am critical it is not because I relish criticizing the president of the U.S. If I have been critical it is because I feel an obligation to do so... the notion that we should say or do nothing in such mercurial behavior is misguided and ahistorical.."
- "We must never accept...personal attacks, threats against principles, freedoms, and institutions."
- We cannot continue to "call true things fake and fake things true."
- "I have children and grandchildren to answer to, and so Mr. President, I will not be complicit or silent."
Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.) on Flake:
- Flake is "a man of integrity, honor, decency and commitment."
- "I have seen Jeff Flake stand up for what he believes in knowing full well there will be a political price to pay."
Sign up for Axios newsletters to get our smart brevity delivered to your inbox every morning.