Jul 9, 2018

Go deeper: HHS struggles to meet family reunification deadlines

Photo: Spencer Platt/Getty Images

The Trump administration is struggling to meet several court-ordered deadlines to reunite more than 2,000 migrant children with their parents.

What's happening: The administration was two days late in providing a complete list of the 102 children under the age of five being held by the Department of Health and Human Services. And today, a Justice Department lawyer told a federal judge that just 54 of those children are scheduled to be returned to their parents on Tuesday, per NBC News' Julia Ainsley, despite that being the original reunification deadline for all 102 children.

How we got here: Last month, the ACLU won a preliminary injunction requiring the reunification of children under five by July 9, and all children by July 26. Judge Dana Sabraw rejected a last-minute government request to extend the deadline on Saturday, forcing HHS into a logistical debacle of its own making.

The big picture: HHS Secretary Alex Azar has refused to give an exact figure for how many migrant children are currently separated from their families, but he told reporters last Thursday that the total was "fewer than 3,000." Azar said HHS was focused on vetting parents to ensure that it would be safe to hand over a child, and that it is unrealistic to expect every case to be resolved in such a short time.

Be smart: As Vox's Dara Lind points out, a fact sheet sent to reporters on June 23 claimed that HHS has "a process established to ensure that family members know the location of their children and have regular communication after separation.” The pace of reunification thus far has suggested that the process is not nearly as clear as originally advertised.

What's next: The ACLU and the Trump administration will be back in court tomorrow at 1 p.m. EST to "discuss next steps." Judge Dana Sabraw has asked government attorneys to provide a timeline for reuniting the remaining children, reports Ainsley.

Go deeper

Trump administration asks Congress for $2.5 billion to fight coronavirus

President Trump with Health and Human Services Secretary Alex Azar at the White House in September. Photo: Chip Somodevilla/Getty Images

The Trump administration sent a letter to Congress Monday requesting a funding commitment of at least $2.5 billion to help combat the spread of the novel coronavirus.

Details: The request for a lump sum account for the Department of Health and Human Services includes $1.25 billion in new funds to fight COVID-19 and $535 would come from untouched funds for the Ebola virus.

WHO won't call coronavirus a pandemic as cases spread

Data: The Center for Systems Science and Engineering at Johns Hopkins, the CDC, and China's Health Ministry. Note: China numbers are for the mainland only and U.S. numbers include repatriated citizens.

The World Health Organization will not yet call the coronavirus a pandemic, claiming that needs across affected countries are too varied and the classification would increase fear, per a briefing Monday.

The big picture: As South Korea and Italy stepped up emergency measures in efforts to thwart the spread of the virus, WHO expressed concern about infections with no clear link to China. COVID-19 has killed at least 2,620 people and infected almost 80,000 others, with all but 27 deaths occurring in mainland China.

Go deeperArrowUpdated 4 hours ago - Health

The global scramble to contain the coronavirus

Taking precaution, in the Philippines. Photo: Ezra Acayan/Getty Images

The coronavirus is spreading quickly in cities nowhere near Wuhan, China, and the window to prevent a global pandemic is narrowing.

Zoom in: Here's a look at what comes with a coronavirus outbreak in communities outside China that have been hardest hit so far.

Go deeperArrow4 hours ago - World