Updated Mar 20, 2019

House Judiciary receives 8 responses to 81 Trump document requests

Chairman of the House Judiciary Committee Rep. Jerry Nadler. Photo: Mark Wilson/Getty

Only 8 of the 81 individuals and entities contacted by the House Judiciary Committee have submitted documents as part of their investigation into President Trump and his inner circle, Politico reported on Tuesday.

Details: The deadline to submit documents was March 18. Even though a small group of people submitted documents, committee chairman Jerrold Nadler (D-N.Y.) said they are expecting more to cooperate.

A grand total of 8,195 pages have been submitted to the committee:

  • Tom Barrack, chairman of the Trump Inaugural Committee: 3,349 pages
  • Steve Bannon, former Trump adviser: 2,688 pages
  • National Rifle Association, 1,466 pages
  • Rinat Akhmetshin, former Russian intelligence officer who attended the 2016 Trump Tower meeting: 467 pages
  • Trump Inaugural Committee, 104 pages
  • J.D. Gordon, former Trump campaign national security adviser: 51 pages
  • George Papadopoulos, former Trump campaign adviser: 47 pages
  • Sam Nunberg, former Trump campaign adviser: 23 pages

Others who plan to cooperate with the panel's inquiry include AMI, the parent company of the National Enquirer and Hope Hicks, a longtime Trump ally and former Trump White House communications director, per CNN.

  • An attorney for former Trump campaign adviser Rick Gates told lawmakers that prosecutors advised him not to cooperate with the committee's probe into Trump, according to a Politico report on Wednesday. But his attorney "left open the possibility of assisting the panel 'in the coming months,'" the news outlet notes.

Go deeper: House Judiciary Committee launches sweeping Trump probe

Go deeper

Exclusive: Trump's "Deep State" hit list

Illustration: Aïda Amer/Axios. Photos: WPA Pool/Getty Pool, Drew Angerer/Getty Staff

The Trump White House and its allies, over the past 18 months, assembled detailed lists of disloyal government officials to oust — and trusted pro-Trump people to replace them — according to more than a dozen sources familiar with the effort who spoke to Axios.

Driving the news: By the time President Trump instructed his 29-year-old former body man and new head of presidential personnel to rid his government of anti-Trump officials, he'd gathered reams of material to support his suspicions.

Exclusive: Anti-Sanders campaign targets black South Carolina voters

Courtesy of The Big Tent Project

The Big Tent Project, a Democratic political group focused on promoting moderate presidential candidates, has sent hundreds of thousands of mailers bashing Bernie Sanders to black voters in South Carolina who voted in the state's 2016 primary.

Why it matters: Sanders' rise to the top of the pack, as dueling moderate candidates split their side of the vote, is worrying many in the Democratic political establishment who fear a socialist can't beat President Trump.

Inside the fight over FBI surveillance powers

Carter Page. Photo: Artyom Korotayev\TASS via Getty Images

Over the past year, President Trump has told senior administration officials, including Attorney General Bill Barr, that he wants a major overhaul of national security surveillance powers and the secret court that approves them.

Behind the scenes: In one such discussion last year about the need to reauthorize government authorities to surveil U.S. citizens, Trump went so far as to say he'd rather get rid of the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act (FISA) altogether.