Oct 9, 2017

Fearing tariffs, solar group takes out ads on Trump's favorite shows

Screengrab via YouTube, US Made Solar

A coalition of U.S.-based solar manufacturers, U.S. Made Solar, is running TV advertisements urging President Trump to not issue tariffs on cheap solar imports. The TV ad buy component is part of a seven figure ad buy.

Why it matters: The campaign appeals straight to Trump's eyes and ears with ads running on shows he's known to watch closely, such as Fox & Friends. It also focuses on one of Trump's favorite rallying cries, American jobs. Driving the news: The coalition formed last month in response to two foreign-owned companies petitioning the U.S. International Trade Commission to recommend tariffs on cheap imports. The ITC ruled late last month in favor of the two companies, and a Trump administration official has said the president is likely to issue tariffs if the ITC issued such a ruling. The coalition claims tariffs would damage the entire domestic solar industry, while the two manufacturers argue the tariffs are needed to protect American solar manufacturing jobs.

What Trump will see and hear from the ads (watch the ads here or here):

  • "Two bankrupt, foreign-owned companies want the federal government to double the price of solar panels, crushing demand for solar power and threatening 350,000 American jobs."
  • "It just doesn't make any sense that any American would choose these two foreign companies over American workers."
  • "Mr. President, Mr. President, Mr. President: Protect American manufacturing jobs. Reject SolarWorld and Suniva's claim and allow U.S. solar jobs to continue to grow."

Upcoming decision: The ads are set to run on D.C. and national cable between now and when a decision is reached, which could come sometime after the ITC makes recommendations to Trump. The ITC has until mid-November to make recommendations.

Go deeper

Updated 3 mins ago - Technology

Twitter: Trump's Minnesota tweet violated rules on violence

Twitter said Friday morning that a tweet from President Trump in which he threatened shooting in response to civil unrest in Minneapolis violated the company's rules. The company said it was leaving the tweet up in the public interest.

Why it matters: The move exacerbates tensions between Twitter and Trump over the company's authority to label or limit his speech and, conversely, the president's authority to dictate rules for a private company.

Updated 17 mins ago - Politics & Policy

Trump threatens to "assume control" of Minneapolis over unrest

Flames from a nearby fire illuminate protesters standing on a barricade in front of the Third Police Precinct in Minneapolis on Thursday. Photo: Kerem Yucel/AFP via Getty Images

President Trump threatened via Twitter early Friday to send the national guard to Minneapolis following three days of massive demonstrations and unrest in the city over George Floyd, a black man who died in police custody this week.

Details: "I can’t stand back & watch this happen to a great American City, Minneapolis. A total lack of leadership. Either the very weak Radical Left Mayor, Jacob Frey, get his act together and bring the City under control, or I will send in the National Guard & get the job done right," Trump tweeted after a police station was torched by some protesters.

Updated 2 hours ago - Politics & Policy

In photos: Protests over George Floyd's death grip Minneapolis

Protesters cheer as the Third Police Precinct burns behind them on in Minneapolis on Thursday night. Photo: Stephen Maturen/Getty Images

Cheering protesters set a Minneapolis police station on fire Thursday night in the third night of unrest following the death of George Floyd, a black man who died in police custody in the city, per AP.

The state of play: Minnesota's governor on Thursday activated the state's national guard following violent outbreaks throughout the week, as the nation waits to see if the officers involved will be charged with murder.