Illustration: Rebecca Zisser/Axios

The Food and Drug Administration will announce today a series of actions aimed at cracking down on youth vaping, despite e-cigarette maker Juul's last-minute effort to self-police.

Between the lines: After years of warnings that flavored e-cigarettes appeal to young people, data finally drove the point home, prompting a Republican administration to move forward with an especially tough regulatory crackdown.

Details: As the Washington Post reported last week, the FDA's actions are expected to include:

  • A ban on sales of flavored e-cigarettes in most retail settings, along with age-verification rules for online sales.
  • A proposal to ban menthol in regular cigarettes.

Juul proposed a similar set of voluntary steps. FDA Commissioner Scott Gottlieb applauded Juul's efforts in a tweet on Tuesday, but said that "voluntary action is no substitute for regulatory steps #FDA will soon take."

The big picture: Both of these ideas have been pushed before, both by public health advocates and some Democrats. But new data showing a 77% increase in e-cigarette use among high school students between 2017 and 2018 prompted the FDA to act.

  • A 2009 law passed by a Democratic-controlled Congress banned flavored cigarettes, but left it to the FDA to decide whether that should include menthol. E-cigarettes had yet to hit the market.
  • Toward the end of the Obama administration, some Democrats — including former Energy and Commerce Committee Chairman Henry Waxman — asked the FDA to ban flavored e-cigarettes, but it didn't happen. Since then, Juul has become enormously popular, particularly among youth.
  • "The only reason I saw for flavors was companies trying to get kids to smoke. I pleaded with them to take out all the flavors," Waxman said in an interview. "Now, what many of us predicted has come true. Kids are vaping, and Juul is the biggest source of e-cigarettes.”

What's next: The menthol ban will likely anger the tobacco industry, but at least one former opponent of the ban — the Congressional Black Caucus — seems more likely to be on board this time around.

When it came to menthol, in 2009, there was "uncertainty about what the right public health policy was, because you had the question of whether if large populations are already smoking and addicted, and you do a ban, does that lead to black market-type concerns, or is it good for public health?" said Phil Barnett, a former staff director for Waxman.

  • "Because that was a really science-based kind of question, the idea was to leave that to FDA to address it and think it through in a regulatory process," he added.

Go deeper

Updated 3 hours ago - Politics & Policy

Coronavirus dashboard

Illustration: Eniola Odetunde/Axios

  1. Global: Total confirmed cases as of midnight ET: 18,752,917 — Total deaths: 706,761— Total recoveries — 11,308,298Map.
  2. U.S.: Total confirmed cases as of midnight ET: 4,821,296 — Total deaths: 158,249 — Total recoveries: 1,577,851 — Total tests: 58,920,975Map.
  3. Public health: Florida surpasses 500,000 confirmed casesFauci calls U.S. coronavirus testing delays "totally unacceptable."
  4. Business: America's next housing crisis.
  5. States: Virginia launches contact tracing app using specs from Apple and Google.
  6. Cities: L.A. mayor authorizes utilities shut-off at homes hosting large gatherings
  7. Politics: White House, Democrats remain "trillions of dollars apart" on stimulus talks.

L.A. mayor authorizes utilities shut-off at homes hosting large gatherings

Los Angeles Mayor Eric Garcetti speaks during a January event in Los Angeles. Photo: Sarah Morris/Getty Images

Los Angeles Mayor Eric Garcetti announced Wednesday he's authorized the city's Department of Water and Power (DWP) to shut down utilities at locations that host large gatherings during the coronavirus pandemic.

Driving the news: Garcetti's announcement follows a fatal shooting at a house party attended by roughly 200 people last Monday, the Los Angeles Times notes.

Updated 6 hours ago - Technology

Facebook, Twitter take down Trump post saying kids are immune to coronavirus

Photo: NurPhoto/Getty Images

Facebook removed a video post from President Trump Wednesday in which he claimed in an interview with Fox News that children are "almost immune" to COVID-19.

Why it matters: It’s the first time that Facebook has removed content from Trump's account for violating policies on coronavirus-related misinformation.