Feb 25, 2019

Former Trump campaign staffer accuses him of unwanted kiss

Photo: Drew Angerer/Getty Images

A staffer who worked on President Trump's campaign has filed a lawsuit claiming he kissed her without consent before a rally in Florida in August 2016, an allegation denied by the White House and the two identified witnesses, the Washington Post reports.

Why it matters: This is the first allegation of sexual misconduct against Trump since becoming president.

  • He has previously faced multiple misconduct allegations — all of which he has denied — from his time as a businessman and host of NBC's "The Apprentice," which culminated in the release of the "Access Hollywood" tape during the campaign in which Trump said, "Just kiss. I don’t even wait. And when you’re a star, they let you do it."

Details: Alva Johnson claims in the lawsuit she filed against Trump and his campaign that she "continues to suffer emotional distress" due to her interaction with the president and seeks an order barring Trump from unwanted contact with women.

  • Johnson, who is African-American, also alleges that the campaign underpaid her due to her race.

Excerpt from Johnson's lawsuit:

"To Defendant Trump, however, Ms. Johnson was nothing more than a sexual object he felt entitled to dominate and humiliate. Like he has done with so many other women, Defendant Trump violated norms of decency and privacy by kissing Ms. Johnson on the lips without her consent in the middle of a Florida work event and in front of numerous other Campaign officials."

The denials from both the White House and the alleged witnesses:

  • White House Press Secretary Sarah Sanders told the Post the allegation was "absurd on its face," adding, "This never happened and is directly contradicted by multiple highly credible eye witness accounts."
  • Then-Florida Attorney General Pam Bondi, one of the alleged witnesses, told the Post, "Do I recall seeing anything inappropriate? One hundred percent no. I’m a prosecutor, and if I saw something inappropriate, I would have said something."
  • The other witness, Karen Giorno, director of Trump's Florida campaign, told the Post "that absolutely did not happen."

Go deeper ... #MeToo's 2018: Congress, Church and Silicon Valley

Go deeper

Coronavirus dashboard

Illustration: Aïda Amer/Axios

  1. Global: Total confirmed cases as of 5 a.m. ET: 5,595,091 — Total deaths: 350,752 — Total recoveries — 2,300,985Map.
  2. U.S.: Total confirmed cases as of 5 a.m. ET: 1,681,418 — Total deaths: 98,929 — Total recoveries: 384,902 — Total tested: 14,907,041Map.
  3. Federal response: DOJ investigates meatpacking industry over soaring beef pricesMike Pence's press secretary returns to work.
  4. Congress: House Republicans to sue Nancy Pelosi in effort to block proxy voting.
  5. Tech: Twitter fact-checks Trump's tweets about mail-in voting for first timeGoogle to open offices July 6 for 10% of workers.
  6. Public health: Coronavirus antibodies could give "short-term immunity," CDC says, but more data is neededCDC releases guidance on when you can be around others after contracting the virus.
  7. What should I do? When you can be around others after contracting the coronavirus — Traveling, asthma, dishes, disinfectants and being contagiousMasks, lending books and self-isolatingExercise, laundry, what counts as soap — Pets, moving and personal healthAnswers about the virus from Axios expertsWhat to know about social distancingHow to minimize your risk.
  8. Other resources: CDC on how to avoid the virus, what to do if you get it, the right mask to wear.

Subscribe to Mike Allen's Axios AM to follow our coronavirus coverage each morning from your inbox.

Updated 7 mins ago - Politics & Policy

When going back to work isn't safe

Illustration: Sarah Grillo/Axios

As states open up, businesses are starting to call their employees back to work, but many don’t feel safe going back.

Why it matters: This is poised to be the next big challenge in the American economy: workers may be forced to chose between their health and their livelihood.

Minneapolis unrest as hundreds protest death of George Floyd

Tear gas is fired as police clash with protesters demonstrating against the death of George Floyd outside the 3rd Precinct Police Precinct in Minneapolis, Minnesota, on Tuesday. Photo: Stephen Maturen/Getty Images

Minneapolis police used tear gas during clashes with protesters demonstrating Tuesday night over the death of George Floyd, an African American who died in police custody, according to multiple news reports and images shared to social media.

Driving the news: The FBI is investigating Floyd's death after video emerged of a Minneapolis police officer kneeling on his neck for several minutes, ignoring protests that he couldn't breathe. Hundreds of protesters attended the demonstration at the intersection where Floyd died, per the Guardian.