David Friedman watches Jared Kushner speak at the opening of the U.S. Embassy in Jerusalem. Photo: Lior Mizrahi/Getty Images

U.S. Ambassador to Israel David Friedman said in a rare statement today that President Trump will release his Israeli-Palestinian peace plan at a time that will allow its best chance for success.

Why it matters: Friedman confirmed my story from last week about a high-level meeting Trump held with his White House "peace team" to discuss the contents of the peace plan and the timing for its release. Trump said in late September that he wanted to publish the long-awaited plan between December and February.

  • Friedman wrote in his statement that he had a "very productive meeting" last week in the Oval Office to discuss the peace plan with White House senior adviser Jared Kushner and special envoy Jason Greenblatt that also included Trump, Vice President Mike Pence, Secretary of State Mike Pompeo and National Security Adviser John Bolton.
  • He rejected a report in the Palestinian Al-Quds newspaper which said that Trump decided to postpone to release of the plan until February. Friedman said: "I would like to reaffirm that the United States remains committed to sharing its vision for peace with Israel, the Palestinians and other regional and international stakeholders at the appropriate time."
  • He added that the White House intends to release the peace plan "when the Administration concludes that we have maximized its potential for acceptance, execution and implementation."

Go deeper:

Go deeper

Trump's new TikTok threat

Photo illustration: Aïda Amer/Axios. Photo: Jim Watson/AFP via Getty Images

President Trump said twice Monday that the U.S. Treasury would need to get a portion of the sale price of TikTok, as a condition of regulatory approval.

Why it matters: This is akin to extortion — the sort of thing you'd expect to hear on a wiretap, not from the White House in front of reporters.

Ford names James Farley as new CEO amid ongoing turnaround effort

James Hackett, left, is retiring as Ford CEO. Jim Farley, right, takes over Oct. 1. Photo: Ford

Ford announced Tuesday that James Farley will take over as its next CEO, replacing James Hackett, 65, who is retiring after three years in the job.

Why it matters: It leaves Farley to complete the company's ongoing turnaround effort. The transition will be that much harder as the industry tries to navigate the coronavirus-induced economic slowdown which shuttered Ford plants for two months on the eve of some of its most important vehicle launches.

Updated 3 hours ago - Politics & Policy

Watch the full "Axios on HBO" interview with President Trump

In this episode of “Axios on HBO”, President Trump discusses his handling of the coronavirus pandemic, the upcoming election and much more with National Political Correspondent Jonathan Swan.

The interview was filmed on Tuesday, July 28 and aired Monday, Aug. 3 on HBO.