Image: Drew Angerer / Getty Images
DACA recipients contribute a net $3.4 billion to the U.S. Treasury and $42 billion in annual GDP, according to an Axios review of research from the American Action Forum.
Why it matters: One of the most disputed questions in the debate over the 690,000 Dreamers currently protected by DACA is their impact on the U.S. economy and federal balance sheet. AAF's estimates are among the first to find that deporting all DACA recipients would cost taxpayers between $7 billion and $21 billion and reduce GDP by 0.4%.
By the numbers:
- DACA recipients currently under protection: 690,000
- DACA recipients who are employed: 382,000
- Average annual GDP contribution per worker: $109,000
- Total annual GDP contribution: $42 billion
- Cost to federal budget: $7.4 billion
- Revenue to federal budget: $10.8 billion
- Net contribution to federal budget: $3.4 billion
- Cost of deporting all DACA recipients: $7 billion to $21 billion