Photo: Getty

The Prime Minister of Croatia Andrej Plenkovič confirmed the U.S. was blocking a $500 million F-16 fighter jet deal between Israel and Croatia, as I reported yesterday, and said Israel was responsible for sorting out the matter with the U.S.

Why it matters: Croatian Ministry of Defense officials told the Croatian press they feel they got stuck between Israel and the U.S. The Croatians are very concerned because they already allocated money in the budget for the purchase, and the deadline for the first phase of the deal is fast approaching. The Croatian government was criticized domestically for the deal, with some in the opposition saying it agreed to pay too much for used fighter jets.

Catch up quick: Under the deal, 12 U.S.-made F-16 fighter jets refurbished and upgraded by Israel would be sold to Croatia. The U.S. was also fighting for the Croatian tender, and U.S. officials claimed Israel was being dishonest and trying to profit off the back of the U.S., according to the Israeli officials.

Plenkovič said in a statement: "For us, the important thing is that the burden of responsibility for ensuring the U.S. consent lays on the Israeli side. We are not in a particularly burdensome situation, everything that has been done on our part was correct. I do not believe that there is a possibility that the deal will not be approved eventually."

The US Embassy in Zagreb also issued a statement after the story broke and didn't deny the U.S. had reservations about the deal.

"We have been working with Israel for more than a year on the details of the proposed transfer of F-16 aircraft. Throughout these conversations, we have clearly highlighted under what technical conditions we can approve such a transfer. At this moment we are very active with Israel and Croatia in order to achieve an acceptable solution that will be within Croatian needs and within the deadline."

Go deeper

Updated 39 mins ago - Politics & Policy

Coronavirus dashboard

Illustration: Sarah Grillo/Axios

  1. Politics: Obama: Trump is "jealous of COVID's media coverage" Axios-Ipsos poll: Federal response has only gotten worse.
  2. Health: Hospitals face a crush — 13 states set single-day case records last week.
  3. Business: Winter threat spurs new surge of startup activity.
  4. Media: Pandemic causes TV providers to lose the most subscribers ever.
  5. States: Nearly two dozen Minnesota cases traced to three Trump campaign events.
  6. World: Putin mandates face masks.

Louisiana braces for 3rd hurricane in 2 months as Tropical Storm Zeta nears

Municipality workers clean the streets of garbage in Playa del Carmen, Mexico, on Tuesday that was left by Zeta, which struck the Yucatan Peninsula as a Category 1 Hurricane a day earlier — causing no major damage to infrastructure. Photo: Medios y Media/Getty Images

Tropical Storm Zeta is expected to strengthen back into a hurricane and bring dangerous storm surge conditions to parts of the northern Gulf Coast on Wednesday, per the National Hurricane Center.

The state of play: Louisiana Gov. John Bel Edwards (D) requested a pre-landfall Federal Declaration of Emergency in a letter to President Trump on Tuesday, ahead of the storm's expected arrival south of New Orleans.

3 hours ago - Technology

Trump's campaign website hacked

A screenshot of the Trump campaign website after it was hacked.

The Trump campaign website briefly went down and its "About" page was modified after hackers attacked the site Tuesday evening.

The big picture: With just seven days before the election, the hackers emulated the FBI and declared on the "About" page that: "this was seized. the world has had enough of the fake-news spreaded [sic] daily by president donald j trump. it is time to allow the world to know truth." Two addresses linked to the cryptocurrency Monero appeared on the site. Trump campaign spokesperson Tim Murtaugh in a statement said no sensitive data had been exposed in the attack.

Go deeper: Twitter hack raises fears of an unstable election