- Alayna Treene
- Sep 14
Conservatives blast Trump for teaming up with Chuck & Nancy on DACA
Illustration: Rebecca Zisser / Axios
Right-wing commentators are taking aim at President Trump for his in-the-works DACA deal that would include increased border security but no funding for the border wall.
Why it matters: Trump's newfound desire for bipartisanship is putting his conservative base in jeopardy. Many of his most feverish supporters voted for him because of his hard line on immigration, and to them this deal makes it seem like Trump's caving on his core promises.
- Breitbart splashed "Amnesty Don" across its homepage.
- Rep. Steve King (R-IA) tweeted: "If AP is correct, Trump base is blown up, destroyed, irreparable, and disillusioned beyond repair. No promise is credible."
- Ann Coulter tweeted: "At this point, who DOESN'T want Trump impeached?"
- Laura Ingraham tweeted: "Dems' 'Border security' pledge is MEANINGLESS... When does American working class w/out real wage increase in 15yrs & who send their kids to overcrowded public schools get amnesty?"
- Sean Hannity tweeted: "Weak R's have betrayed voters. @POTUS needs to stay the course and keep his promises or it's over! Pelosi and Schumer can never be trusted.... If reports true 100%. I blame R's. They caused this..."
- Lou Dobbs, an anchor Fox Business Network tweeted: "...Huge Loss for #MAGA... @POTUS Betrayed."
- "It's Javanka's West Wing. We only voted for it."
- "This is like the week before the Super Bowl, Bob Craft meeting with the owners and players of the Atlanta Falcons."
- "Slap in the face not to Ryan and McConnell but the very people - the RANK AND FILE - Republicans across the country, who believe in the Constitution."