Apr 5, 2018

Apple's new Mac Pro won't arrive until 2019

Illustration: Rebecca Zisser / Axios

Apple has confirmed to TechCrunch that a new high-end desktop Mac won't be released until next year. In a briefing with Axios and other reporters last year, it had said the redesigned Mac Pro wouldn't arrive in 2017 but stopped short of promising it would come this year either.

Why it matters: Apple doesn't usually signal when new products are coming, but in this case it wants its most loyal customers to be able to plan their purchases.

"We want to be transparent and communicate openly with our pro community so we want them to know that the Mac Pro is a 2019 product," Apple senior director Tom Boger told TechCrunch. "It’s not something for this year.”

As TechCrunch points out, it also makes business sense for Apple to let professional customers know there isn't a new high-end desktop model coming. It could lead some to decide they want to get an iMac Pro or other existing model in the mean time.

Apple declined to comment further.

Apple has stuck with the existing cylindrical Mac Pro design, introduced in 2013, but has offered only modest upgrades in the almost five years since. Last year it introduced a new high-end iMac, known as the iMac Pro, to help tide users over until the redesigned Mac Pro is ready.

Go deeper: Why the old Mac Pro proved so hard to upgrade.

Go deeper

Energy deputy secretary nominee in hot water after contradicting Trump

Mark Menezes speaks at a forum in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia, June 12. Photo: Minasse Wondimu Hailu/Anadolu Agency/Getty Images

Trump administration officials are internally raising concerns about President Trump’s nominee for Energy deputy secretary, who appeared to openly contradict the president on nuclear waste storage at Nevada’s Yucca Mountain last week.

Driving the news: While speaking at a House Energy and Commerce subcommittee hearing last Wednesday, Mark Menezes told members of the panel that the Trump administration is still interested in storing nuclear waste at Yucca Mountain and that “what we're trying to do is to put together a process that will give us a path to permanent storage at Yucca."

Exclusive: Pompeo says new China media restrictions "long overdue"

Photo: Mark Wilson/Getty Images

The State Department announced Tuesday that it has designated five Chinese state media outlets as "foreign missions," meaning that they will be treated as arms of the Chinese government.

Driving the news: In his first public statement on the new designation, Secretary of State Mike Pompeo tells Axios that the five outlets are "clearly controlled by the [Chinese Communist Party], and we are simply recognizing that fact by taking this action.”

Go deeperArrow1 hour ago - World

Trump pardons the swamp

Rod Blagojevich in 2010. Photo: Scott Olson/Getty Images

President Trump announced Tuesday that he would commute former Illinois Gov. Rod Blagojevich's 14-year prison sentence for extortion, bribery and corruption — as well as issue full pardons for former San Francisco 49ers owner Edward DeBartolo Jr., former NYPD Commissioner Bernie Kerik and financier Michael Milken.

The big picture: The president's clemency spree largely benefitted white-collar criminals convicted of crimes like corruption, gambling fraud and racketeering, undercutting his message of "draining the swamp."

Go deeperArrowUpdated 2 hours ago - Politics & Policy