- Ina Fried
- Sep 27
Amazon introduces new Echo devices and updates Fire TV
The Amazon Echo Spot. Photo: Amazon
Amazon used a press event in Seattle to unveil a range of new hardware, including a new range of Echo speakers and an update to its Fire TV set-top box.
Why it matters: Amazon is known for offering a lot of technology at a low price and it has dialed up the pressure on Apple and Google with the new gear. The new devices also will take the Alexa voice assistant to more places.
Here are the new products:
- A smaller, cheaper Amazon Echo that sells for $99.
- A $149 Echo Plus that is similar in size to existing Echo, can discover and control smart home devices
- The $130 Echo Spot, an Alexa-powered Alarm clock with a round 2.5-inch touchscreen
- The $35 Echo Connect, which allows the Alexa-powered speakers to double as speakerphones.
- A $69 Fire TV set-top box that adds support for 4K and HDR video
- Alexa will also start showing up in cars, including select BMW models beginning next year.
What didn't get introduced: The smart glasses that Amazon is reportedly working on.