Airbnb delays boycott of Israeli settlements

An Airbnb-listed apartment near the Jewish settlement of Shilo in the occupied West Bank. Photo: Menahem Kahana/AFP/Getty Images

Airbnb will hold off on implementing its new policy of boycotting Israeli settlements in the occupied West Bank, the company announced today. The statement was issued after a round of negotiations today between Airbnb vice president Chris Lehane and Israeli Minister of Tourism Yariv Levin.

Why it matters: Airbnb's decision last month to delist 200 apartments and houses for rent in the Israeli settlements shocked the Israeli government. In the last few weeks, the Israeli government together with pro-Israeli organizations in the U.S. pressed Airbnb to change course. However, Airbnb has clarified that it is preparing to implement the policy in the future.

An Airbnb delegation arrived secretly in Israel earlier today and held talks with the minister of tourism and his aides.

  • Israeli officials said the talks were very difficult, with Levin conveying tough messages to Lehane. The meeting ended in a deadlock, but in subsequent phone calls, the two sides agreed on text for the statement.

Airbnb's initial statement: "The new policy (regarding the settlements) will not be implemented. Airbnb will continue the dialogue with the Israeli government on the issue."

Update: Airbnb has now issued a second statement, which says the company is "developing the tools needed to implement our policy and that process includes continuing our dialogue with the Government of Israel and other stakeholders.” A spokesman said the first statement, which was in Hebrew, was "released in error."

  • Lehane will will meet with Levin again tomorrow to discuss the policy. Officials at Airbnb tell me the company will continue the dialogue with the Israeli government before deciding whether to keep the policy or change it.

What's next

Pelosi slams McConnell trial rules as "deliberately designed to hide the truth"

Photo: Mark Wilson/Getty Images

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) claimed in a statement Tuesday that the rules Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) has proposed for President Trump's impeachment trial diverge from the Clinton precedent and show he has "chosen a cover-up" over a fair trial.

Context: McConnell made public an organizing resolution Monday laying out the terms for the trial, which include 24 hours over two days for each side to present their cases. It would block evidence discovered in the House impeachment investigation from being presented without a separate vote, and would delay a vote on whether to subpoena witnesses and documents until later in the trial.

Setting the scene for Super Bowl LIV

Illustration: Sarah Grillo/Axios

After a grueling four months of football, Patrick Mahomes has led the Chiefs out of the darkness and into the Miami sun, where the 49ers football machine awaits them in the Super Bowl.

"The Gunslinger"

Mahomes is 24 years old, arguably the best player in football and he just toppled Tom Brady as the top seller of NFL merchandise. A star has already been born — now he has the biggest stage in sports to showcase his brilliance.

Go deeperArrow2 hours ago - Sports

Exclusive: The Athletic raises $50 million

Adam Hansmann (left) and Alex Mather (right), co-founders of The Athletic. Photo: Steph Gray, courtesy of The Athletic

The Athletic, a subscription-based digital sports media company, has raised $50 million in a Series D funding round, executives tell Axios.

  • With this investment, the company has raised a total of $139.5 million since its launch in 2016 and is valued at roughly $500 million after the new raise, according to sources familiar with the deal.
Go deeperArrow2 hours ago - Media