May 4, 2018

50,000 Hondurans to lose protected status in U.S.

Department of Homeland Security logo. Photo: Scott Olson/Getty Images

The Trump administration has announced temporary protected status (TPS) for Hondurans, a status which has safeguarded more than 50,000 Hondurans following a devastating hurricane in 1999, will end on January 5, 2020, first reported by the New York Times and since confirmed by Axios.

Big picture: The Department of Homeland Security has already ended these permits for 200,000 Salvadorans, 50,000 Haitians, 9,000 Nepalese and thousands of Nicaraguans and Sudanese. DHS has determined the condition in Honduras has improved enough to warrant the end of the TPS.

The details: The DHS announced today that "[b]ased on careful consideration of available information... Secretary [Nielsen] determined that the disruption of living conditions in Honduras from Hurricane Mitch that served as the basis for its TPS designation has decreased to a degree that it should no longer be regarded as substantial. Thus, as required under the applicable statute, the current TPS designation must be terminated."

  • The agency added, "[t]o allow for an orderly transition, the effective date of the termination of TPS for Honduras will be delayed 18 months... [which] will also provide time for Honduras to prepare for the return and reintegration of its citizens."

Go deeper

John Kelly defends James Mattis against Trump attacks

John Kelly in the White House in July 2017. Photo: Cheriss May/NurPhoto via Getty Images

Former White House chief of staff John Kelly defended James Mattis on Thursday after President Trump attacked the former defense secretary as "the world's most overrated general" and claimed on Twitter that he was fired.

What he's saying: “The president did not fire him. He did not ask for his resignation,” Kelly told the Washington Post in an interview. “The president has clearly forgotten how it actually happened or is confused."

Barr claims "no correlation" between removing protesters and Trump's church photo op

Attorney General Bill Barr said at a press conference Thursday that there was "no correlation" between his decision to order police to forcibly remove protesters from Lafayette Park and President Trump's subsequent visit to St. John's Episcopal Church earlier this week.

Driving the news: Barr was asked to respond to comments from Defense Secretary Mark Esper, who said Tuesday that he "did not know a photo op was happening" and that he does everything he can to "try and stay out of situations that may appear political."

Updates: Cities move to end curfews for George Floyd protests

Text reading "Demilitarize the police" is projected on an army vehicle during a protest over the death of George Floyd in Washington, D.C.. early on Thursday. Photo: Yasin Ozturk/Anadolu Agency via Getty Images

Several cities are ending curfews after the protests over the death of George Floyd and other police-related killings of black people led to fewer arrests and less violence Wednesday night.

The latest: Los Angeles and Washington D.C. are the latest to end nightly curfews. Seattle Mayor Jenny Durkan tweeted Wednesday night that "peaceful protests can continue without a curfew, while San Francisco Mayor London Breed tweeted that the city's curfew would end at 5 a.m. Thursday.