Social Security backs off cuts to phone services amid outcry
Add Axios as your preferred source to
see more of our stories on Google.

Social Security Administration headquarters. Photo: Wesley Lapointe for The Washington Post via Getty Images)
After weeks of confusion and outcry, the Social Security Administration is backing off its announced drastic cuts to phone services.
Why it matters: The changes would've strained an already backlogged agency and possibly even kept eligible Americans from receiving benefits.
- "Telephone remains a viable option to the public," the agency said in a statement.
Zoom in: The changes were slated to begin in less than a week. Instead, the agency said in an email that "beginning on April 14, SSA will allow all claim types to be completed over the telephone."
- "This includes Retirement, Survivors, and Auxiliary (Spouse or Child) benefits that SSA previously announced would require in-person identity proofing, in addition to Social Security Disability Insurance, Medicare, and SSI."
- Direct deposit change, however can't be done over the phone, an agency official said on background.
- "Individuals who do not or cannot use the agency's online my Social Security services portal to change their direct deposit information for any benefit will need to visit a Social Security office to process the change or can call 1-800-772-1213 to schedule an in-person appointment," they said in an email.
Zoom in: The White House provided more details in a Wednesday afternoon email.
- "Because the anti-fraud team implemented new technological capabilities so quickly, SSA can now perform anti-fraud check on all claims filed over the phone," a White House official said in a statement. New software allows the agency to flag abnormal behavior in a person's account.
- Those who are flagged "would be required to perform in-person ID proofing for the claim to be further processed."
- "The administration remains committed to protecting our beneficiaries from fraud. There will no disruptions to service."
What they're saying: "The Social Security anti-fraud team has worked around the clock in person to improve technological capabilities and they are now able to identify fraud on claims filed over the telephone," Liz Huston, a spokeswoman said in an emailed statement.
- "This is great news for older Americans," AARP's executive vice president Nancy LeaMond said in a statement.
- Her group represents 38 million older Americans, and had been speaking out against the changes, but said it needed more "clarity" to understand them.
- "We appreciate SSA listening to AARP and millions of Americans about the impact on their lives and providing better access to customer service for Social Security benefits."
Catch up fast: The agency had said previously that changes were necessary as a fraud protection measure — though that claim has been widely disputed and phone fraud appears to be minimal compared to the volume of benefits paid and the amount of disruption the changes would've caused.
- SSA had been flooded by calls from recipients, and members of Congress are hearing from constituents over fears of what these cuts will do to already lackluster service.
Update: This story has been updated with further details from the White House and the SSA.
