Apr 10, 2023 - Sports
Bruins set NHL wins record
The Bruins set a new National Hockey League record with their 63rd win on Sunday, breaking a tie with the 1995-96 Detroit Red Wings and 2018-19 Tampa Bay Lightning.
Why it matters: The 2022-23 Bruins now have a claim to the title of "best regular-season team in NHL history."
Yes, but: Beware the curse! In the four major sports, the teams that hold the regular-season wins record all lost in the playoffs.
- Major League Baseball (116 wins): 1906 Chicago Cubs (lost World Series) and 2001 Seattle Mariners (lost ALCS)
- National Football League (16 wins): 2007 New England Patriots (lost Super Bowl)
- National Basketball Association (73 wins): 2015-16 Golden State Warriors (lost NBA Finals)
Plus: The 62-win Red Wings and Lightning both lost in the playoffs, too. Now the Bruins hold the record and have a chance to break the curse.
What's next: Boston has 131 points on the season, one shy of the all-time record held by the 1976-77 Canadiens.
- They have two games left: home vs. the Washington Capitals on Tuesday and away vs. the Canadiens on Thursday.
- It could be a fitting finish if Boston beats Montreal to complete the greatest season ever.