Gas prices dip ahead of Labor Day, but here's how to save more
The big picture: Domestic travel bookings for Labor Day weekend, which include air travel, cars, cruises, hotels and tours, are up 22% from 2021 — and international travel bookings are up 104%, per AAA travel data, Axios' Erin Doherty reports.
- 53% of Americans say they plan to travel this weekend and nearly 36% will be traveling by car, according to a recent survey from The Vacationer.
What they’re saying: “Gas prices are now $1.20 per gallon lower than mid-June with Americans spending $450 million less on gasoline every day as a result,” said Patrick De Haan, head of petroleum analysis at GasBuddy, in a statement this week.
What’s next: Weather and hurricane season “can affect prices by disrupting oil production in the Gulf of Mexico and impacting large coastal refineries,” said Andrew Gross, AAA spokesperson, in a recent statement.
From searching for the cheapest price to using loyalty programs, it's still possible to beat inflation on your fill-up. Here are some promotions that will help you save on gas.
Wawa fuel discount returns
Meanwhile, Wawa is offering loyalty members 15 cents off per gallon when they pay for gas through its app now through Oct. 30.
Details: To save, Wawa Rewards members need to use the app on their phone to activate a fuel pump and pay, the company said in a news release.
- The discount was last offered to Wawa Rewards members for a limited time in May and June.
Be smart: Almost every major gas station chain has a loyalty program and some regularly offer savings.
- With 7-Eleven’s 7Rewards program, get 11 cents off every gallon, up to 20 gallons, on seven fill-ups in the first 90 days of signing up and then 3 cents off per gallon.
- Other top gas rewards programs include BPme Rewards, Exxon Mobil Rewards+ and Shell Fuel Rewards.
- Retailer loyalty programs also can drive savings on fuel including at Walmart, Kroger, Safeway and Albertsons.
Circle K Fuel Day deal
Driving the news: Circle K announced Wednesday that it would hold a Fuel Day sale for three hours Thursday, Sept. 1 — from 4 to 7pm local time — at pumps nationwide.
- The company is offering 40 cents off per gallon at more than 3,600 Circle K branded fuel locations.
What they’re saying: “It’s been a challenging summer for travel, so we want to thank our customers for their loyalty by offering them additional savings ahead of the busy holiday weekend, ending the summer on a high note,” Nathan Woodland, head of North America Category Fuels at Circle K, said in a statement.
- “Our Circle K Fuel Day will also kick off an entire month of deals inside our stores.”
GasBuddy, AAA apps can help find cheap gas
What they’re saying: GasBuddy spokesperson Nicole Petersen advises shopping around for the best gas prices, but the cheapest station isn’t always the most convenient.
- “Drivers can save in the range of 30 cents per gallon just by comparing prices and driving a few extra blocks,” Petersen recently told Axios.
Editor's note: This story has been updated with Friday's national average gas price and additional data.
More from Axios: