WNBA star Diana Taurasi says U.S. must do "everything and anything" to bring Brittney Griner home
Phoenix Mercury star Diana Taurasi has called on the U.S. government to do whatever it takes to bring Brittney Griner home.
Driving the news: "We're expecting our U.S. government to do everything and anything possible to get 'BG' home as quick as possible," she told Axios.
- "I mean, it's been over 130 days of her sitting in a Russian prison and we expect our government to make sure she's safe and to make sure she gets home as soon as possible," she added.
Griner was arrested four months ago at a Moscow airport after authorities said she was carrying vape cartridges that contained hashish oil.
- The WNBA star went on trial last Friday on drug charges, which carry up to 10 years in prison.
- The U.S. says she has been wrongfully detained,
- Griner's wife, Cherelle Griner, told "CBS Mornings" on Tuesday that the government needs to do more to help her wife.
- “I will not be quiet anymore,” she told CBS. “I will find that balance of harm versus help in pushing our government to do everything that’s possible. Because being quiet, they are not moving.”
- Biden spoke with Cherelle Griner on the phone on Wednesday and read her a draft of the letter he is sending to Brittney Griner, according to the White House.