UAE says it intercepted 2 ballistic missiles over Abu Dhabi
The United Arab Emirates' Defense Ministry said it "intercepted and destroyed" two ballistic missiles targeting Abu Dhabi that were claimed by Yemen's Houthi rebels on Monday.
Why it matters: The report from the UAE and another from Saudi Arabia that a Houthi ballistic missile wounded two people in the kingdom's south on Sunday night further heightens tensions in the region.
- It comes days after the rebel fighters from Yemen killed three people in Abu Dhabi.
- Following last week's attack by the Houthis, the Saudi-led coalition ramped up its air raids in Yemen, killing scores, including some children, and knocking out the country's internet. The Houthi rebels vowed to take revenge over those attacks, per AP.
Details: Monday's attack "did not result in any casualties, as the remnants of the intercepted and destroyed ballistic missiles fell in separate areas around the Emirati capital," per a statement from the UAE Defense Ministry.
The big picture: U.S. envoy for Yemen Tim Lenderking traveled to the Arabian Gulf last Wednesday in the aftermath of the earlier attack.
- The Iran-backed rebels had previously only targeted Saudi Arabia and ships in the region but not the UAE, which is a member of the Saudi-led alliance that intervened in Yemen's civil war in 2015, notes Barak Ravid, a contributing correspondent for Axios.
- The conflict has become what human rights groups describe as the world's worst humanitarian crisis.
Editor's note: This article has been updated with additional details, including further comment from the UAE Defense Ministry.