Banks see borrowing return
- Net interest income jumped 10% and 52%, respectively, over last year, the companies reported this morning.
Where else they were strong: Investment banking fees rose 65% at Bank of America.
- For Morgan Stanley, fees reached a new quarterly record.
- Citigroup’s fees more than tripled from last year.
By the numbers: Profits jumped 59% at Wells Fargo, 58% at Bank of America, 48% at Citigroup and 36% at Morgan Stanley.
- JPMorgan, which reported on Wednesday, reported a 24% increase in profit.
- Still to come: Goldman Sachs tomorrow.
What to watch: Consumer and business spending are pacing above pre-pandemic levels, signaling a greater appetite for debt, which is good for all of the banks.