Apr 30, 2021 - Politics & Policy
How conservatives and progressives reacted to Biden's joint address online
Precision Strategies, an agency founded by Democrats, analyzed what broke through in the digital fallout from President Biden's address:
- "Conservative tweets spiked around ... immigration and gun safety ... Conservatives focused on a few core issues — immigration, border security, taxes, and jobs — but largely stuck to painting the entirety of the agenda as radical."
- "Progressives are loud ... From racial justice and child care to climate and health care, progressives covered the widest range of issues. No single issue emerged as a widely held, clear priority."
Precision tallied emojis that lawmakers used to punctuate tweets:
- 👏 👏 👏 Progressives clapped their hands, expressing support and applause for the President’s plans and statements.
- 🇺🇸🇸 🚨 ❌ Conservatives wrapped themselves in the flag and used alarms and X’s to express opposition to the President’s speech.
- ➡️ ✅ 👉 Bipartisan dealmakers used arrows, checkmarks, and pointed fingers to emphasize key points from the speech and underscore policy positions.