All eyes on Indian Premier League as 2021 cricket season kicks off
The Indian Premier League's 2021 season got underway this week, and the sprint to the championship is officially on.
- Viewership reached a record high last season, with a 23% increase to 400 billion minutes watched. And that's just TV.
- Roughly 30% of Disney+'s 100 million subscribers are from Disney+ Hotstar, which is India's exclusive IPL streaming option.
How it works: While traditional test cricket matches can last up to five days, the IPL plays Twenty20 cricket, which limits matches to roughly three hours.
- The regular season comprises 56 total matches, with each team playing every other team twice (home and away). The top four teams make the playoffs.
- Of note: India is experiencing its worst COVID-19 surge since September, so matches will be played without fans for the second straight season.
- Mumbai Indians (five titles, including 2020)
- Chennai Super Kings (three)
- Kolkata Knight Riders (two)
- Rajasthan Royals (one)
- Sunrisers Hyderabad (one)
- Delhi Capitals
- Royal Challengers Bangalore
- Punjab Kings
Go deeper: IPL season preview (Sky Sports)